Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExMormonron ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:29AM

...your real opinion, not some off the wall, tongue-in-cheek answer like I'd give.

What do you think the local leadership would do if everyone up and said "fuck you" to cleaning bathrooms?

Ron

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:36AM

The leadership would HAVE to change its stance if members banded togetherand just said NO to this demand, as they should!

But of course, they won't.

The leadership can rely on its sheeple to bow and say "Baa...yes" to ANYTHING.

Posted by: Helen ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:15AM

WiserWomanNow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The leadership would HAVE to change its stance if
> members banded togetherand just said NO to this
> demand, as they should!
>
> But of course, they won't.
>
> The leadership can rely on its sheeple to bow and
> say "Baa...yes" to ANYTHING.

Reminds me of a line in a Carol Lynn Pearson poem, The Sheep .. Can't remember the exact line but something like:-

"Secure in following whose wool happens to be up front with blissful Baa and unsuspicious sniff dives off the cliff".

I think for members to come out in force and refuse to clean the chapels will be a long time coming.

There will be those who will grumble quietly to their spouse or closest friend but then will continue to follow the suits up front and stay in line, that's waht sheeple do.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:39AM

BUT there will ALWAYS be those few who will do it anyway. You can always find at least 1 or 2 who will.

My aunt and uncle in their 70s (both work as they have no retirement--let alone have a ton of grandchildren they help care for)--and they help clean the conference center and some of the temples. OH, but they can't get tickets to conference at the conference center . . . never have yet.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:41AM

Well, I suppose they would have to hire someone to clean the restrooms.

My last calling in the church was team captain for one of the cleaning crews. I was well on my way out when the toilet edict came, and I promptly resigned from that calling.

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:41AM

cl2 is right on - there will always be some few that will do it just because it is a "sacrifice" or because they feel it will endear them to the leadership. I call those folks chumps.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:16PM

My tbm dh will be one of the last ones standing to clean the toilets. He can't see anything beyond Mormonism and will fight to the end to prove it is true.

Posted by: fallenangelblue ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:42AM

And the two people who can't say no to anyone will end up being given the job as a "calling." Then you will hear a speech from the pulpit about obedience for the next month or so.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 10:42AM

Assuming that people were even still going to church after such a series of events my guess is that they would let the buildings degrade and loudly blame the members disobedience for thier poor condition.

Posted by: Tahoe Girl ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:01AM

-Bishop: Do you clean the toilets when you're assigned to do so?
-Morgbot: Yes! Oh, yes indeed I do!
-Bishop: Then recommend granted.

OR

-Bishop: Do you clean the toilets when you're assigned to do so?
-Slacking Morgbot: No. No sir. I haven't been able to do that. You see I've got work and 7 kids and my wife is the RS President....
-Bishop: There are no acceptable excuses when asked to serve as the Lord's janitor. Sorry. No cleaning toilets, no temple recommend.

TG

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:13AM

...unless they ALL said "NO."

Sometimes I wonder if *anything* would ever cause the majority to say, "Hey, wait a minute. That is going too far!"

Certainly hasn't happened yet.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:42PM

The Kirtland OH Anti Banking scandal was almost enough. But you know what they say about almost...

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:39AM

OK If we accept the premis(sp?) that Ron set out, that 100% said FU, then I see the following happening;

1. Bishoprick will do cleaning for 1st week, and let everyone know.
2. They will assign talks that speak about the sacrifices the pioneers made while crossing the plains, and what sacrifices have you made for tscc? Also talks about Ole Joe, and Hyrum giving their lives for the church, etc.
3. Edict from on high that says "if no one will clean the building, then the building will only be used for what they deem essential, ie Sunday meetings, and tithing settlements. I think they would try to get YW/YM work projects to clean it on Weds. but again, we are accepting the premis they and the leaders say no.
4. Tell members that fast offerings can be made with a special note attached to tell them it is for paying a cleaning company.
5. Obeying the church ldrs will become very prominent in temple worthiness meetings.
6. Hold their breath, and kick their feet, until they pass out, or the members give in.

Posted by: Pil-Latté ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:53AM

The church is very manipulative. I think they would start to withhold "blessings" like temple recommends until the members change their behavior. I also agree that cleaning the church would be a temple recommend question, or become a calling.

I wish I could see every member standing up against the church. Unfortunately there are still too many out there like my parents who see this extra sacrifice as another way to prove themselves to Jesus. They thrive on extra sacrifices, and they love to talk about how they are sacrificing.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 11:54AM

Not without browbeating everyone for their faithlessness though. But, like others said, there will always a few who will do it.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:17PM

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:25PM

Assuming every ward has members partaking of the Bishop's storehouse and/or LDS Social Services, Janitor duty is not a hard calling to fill.

The Bishop delegates to the Relief Society President who essentially says to the unfortunate, "if we're giving you free shit, then you can clean the toilets."

Of course she wouldn't say it exactly like that, even though that is exactly what she'll mean.

Posted by: notion ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:36PM

it's already there under the disguise of sustaining your leaders and keeping the covenants. The baptism and temple covenants include obedience to the church leadership no matter what they ask. I can see it as a follow up question, though.

"Do you REALLY sustain your leaders? I noticed the bathrooms were not cleaned when your family was assigned to this wonderful opportunity to serve ..."

I like the idea of a special cleaning fund, that means more money to the church.

I think they would fly Bednar to the rebellious ward to *inspire them* :P

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:39PM

I suppose the first thing they would do is take temple rec's away.
But of course it will never in a million years happen. Remember we are talking about the sheeple here. However there are individuals that will and do refuse, like I myself did, when I was still active but no longer a believer.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: February 23, 2011 12:42PM

The sheeple need to form a union so that they can demand wages for cleaning bathrooms, transparency in accounting for their "dues," and a voice for women at all levels of administration.

Power to the people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.