Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 11:24AM

No, Church never offended me but I can recount many vendors who pissing me off royally and me taking my business somewhere else.
I think members realize this point that some of them act like boneheads and there's little they can do to rectify situation.
I'd like to read some of "Offended" stories here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 11:40AM

I've been working in journalism since my teens. You can't be a writer of any sort without having a very thick skin. You have to know when to take correction and when to say "No, this is good - I'm going to fight for it." If you have your feelings hurt easily, you better just give up and go home. Last time someone offended me was several years before I left Mormonism AND I was so impressed they were able to offend me, I couldn't stay mad at them. I've been mad at people, disappointed at them etc. but their behavior didn't offend me and if it had, I wouldn't have turned against GOD because of it. Here's what I want to say to the Mormons on this subject:

First, you expect me to believe you have never been offended in all your years in the church? Oh, you have? But you didn't leave the church over it...why? Because you have a testimony? Exactly. People leave because they have learned something in the doctrine, history or practices of Mormonism that make them realize that it isn't what it claims. Not because they were offended. Everyone who deals with you Mormons are offended sooner or later - you have a reputation for terrible manners.

Second, saying people only leave the church because they are offended is one of the great anti-Mormon statements of all time. Because whether you believe it or not, it can only mean 2 things. Either Mormonism produces a person so emotionally stunted and intellectually weak that they would actually turn against God because they got their feelings hurt. That is a terrible castigation against Mormon doctrine - that it turns out a person like that. Or, worse, that Mormon ideals turn out a person so arrogant, insensitive and obnoxious that more than half the people who join up with them would rather lose their family forever than spend one more minute in the presence of a "good" Mormon. Either way, it's a horrible slam against Mormon philosophy.

Finally, if I told you what I knew about Joseph Smith, his changing stories about the first vision, his 30 plus wives (including teenagers) and his generally narcissistic tendencies, you would be VERY offended and march out of the room, condemning me. H*ll, my cup of COFFEE would cause you to do that. Why do you believe it's OK to be offended when it's YOU but that it shows a lack of character when it's ME?

Thanks for letting me rant because recently I found out that everyone in my former ward is saying I left because I was offended when literally not ONE person has asked me why I am not a church any more. This should offend me in and of itself but mostly I just feel sorry for these Mormons because THEY ARE BEARING FALSE WITNESS. When you tell a story about someone, without even double checking to see if it's true and it's not true, that's what it's called. It's on the Top 10 NO NO list of the God Mormons worship, right up there with MURDER and ADULTERY. I think that is a considerable problem, don't you? You all Mormons better hope I'm right about the church being a fraud because if it's true, you are SCREWED.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2010 11:41AM by CA girl.

Posted by: Duder ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 11:42AM

I was asked if someone offended me. I responded that I was offended every single time another man asked me if I masturbated.

I was offended when LDS Family Services asked me if I was addicted to caffeine.

I was offended when a bishop asked me to baptize another man's son because that man was deemed "unworthy" of doing it. I didn't even know the kid.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:29PM

Asking if you left because you were offended is a form of passive aggression.

The church is true in the minds of the faithful, and therefore the person who leaves the church must have left it for a non-substantive reason--such as having been offended--because they could not possibly have left it because they no longer believe.

When a TBM actively asks if you were offended or publicly observes that you must have been offended, it gives them validation of their own position while simultaneously diminishing the worth of the person whom they assume to have been offended. In short, they are smugly and passively attacking you by doing it. And, they have been encouraged to do it by their leaders.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:36PM

Being offended by a church leader or member's abusive, exploitative,or demeaning behavior demonstrates a healthy level of self-esteem and an understanding of appropriate social behavior.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 11, 2010 12:52PM

The church teaches people to be offended by anything that does not glorify the church. So really, if you are offended by something that the church does, it is because you see it as not glorifying the church.

Therefore, you are not weak, but strong enough to follow the teachings of the church.

So next time someone says that you were offended, just ask them if they are strong enough to be offended also.

--------
currently, the rumour is that we got offended and are taking a break from church. And yes, I am somewhat offended that they think so very little of me, but it is better than being accused of adultery like they did to my old bishop, when he resigned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.