Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MMPP ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 05:31PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 05:33PM

No, but they come back stupid thick skinned and able to handle lots of rejection - key qualities in a salesman...

Posted by: delightsome ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 05:38PM

Nope, but every one of them is convinced they could be. There are hundreds selling alarm systems door to door right now.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 09:31PM

LOL...I was just going to mention security system sales! I have a "friend" and her DH sells security systems door to door every summer. Apparently they make a killing because they live off what they make during the summer for the entire year.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 05:39PM

I think they do. I know many in insurance sales and banking that make a bundle. They just aren't scared of cold calling.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 05:45PM

That's because he only endorsed and advertized products he actually used and believed in.

No RM can hold a stick to that guy!

................ Good day!

Timothy

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 05:53PM

"...and now, the rest of the story!". God, I loved that guy. His son's trying to get the beat and cadence of his delivery. He's not bad either.

Ron

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 05:49PM

The problem is that they expect serious rewards without putting in the effort. They go for quantity and not quality..

JB

Posted by: Emmahalesmith ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 09:19PM

Missionaries are taught manipulation tactics in the MTC and in the mission field.
BRT = build a relationship of trust (cuz no one's going to buy your shtuff if they don't trust you)

Commitment pattern - getting people to commit to things they may not be sure about by pestering them a billion times.

In my opinion, these are the same tactics that make any well trained sales force.

Plus, the ability not to fear cold calling or rejection are things missionaries learn well .....

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 09:38PM

Yes, the better one becomes at using the "commitment pattern", the more effective one becomes at selling a product or service. The commitment pattern taught to and used by missionaries is nothing less than a modified sales pattern. Step 1 - build rapport which creates a measure of trust in the sales person. Step 2 - Educate the prospect about your product or service. Step 3 - generate feelings of excitement or desire for the product or service you offer by getting the customer to experience the product or service you are selling. Step 4 - when you sense the customer is in an emotional state ready to buy, make the offer. Overcome objections to the sale by asking open-ended questions to find out why the customer wants to buy and why they are hesitant to buy. Resolve concerns according to the reasons for hesitation in buying. Follow up with the customer in making sure they keep their commitment to buy your product or service.

Mormon Missionaries are the world's largest trained and organized "volunteer" sales force the world has ever seen.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 09:43PM

Raptorjesus, WILL you do this?

Of Course!

But I don't. Haha, I knew the game, just like I knew that all interest in me and what I do is feigned.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.