Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 06:52PM

Birdie2 talks in another thread about her TBM relatives who said they would pray for her missing daughter, but did nothing else to help.

I've seen this happen a number of times, people who could actually do something to help saying, "I'll pray for xx," and then acting like that's all they need to do.

I've begun to think it's the great Xtian cop-out - to say you'll pray for someone when you could actually be helping, doing something.

So... I don't want anyone praying for me - first, I'm an atheist, and second, it just seems like a total "I'm off the hook now" thing to do. My dad was a devout Xtian and he NEVER said he would pray for someone, he would actually just take action and help however he could.

So...you who do this can stuff your prayers where the sun don't shine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: yours truly ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 06:55PM

Any (dark) Wishing-Well will do!

Date: March 02, 2011 06:56PM

yup, well put.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 06:57PM

I totally agree. And by the way, I love the title of your post. I plan to use that line once in a while. That is just pretty damn funny! lol here!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 06:58PM by think4u.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )

In our congregation we have announcements for people who are in need of our prayers. One such person was seriously injured and after a couple weeks had gone by and he was mentioned again, one of the guys piped up and asked if we could do something a little more concrete, like maybe a fundraiser.

I thought that qwas pretty cool, I mean yeah an appeal to Heaven is always a good idea, but like they say, one pair of hands working will get more done than a hundred clasped in prayer.

Date: March 02, 2011 06:59PM

+1 for me! Never heard that before, but that is really good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2011 07:01PM by think4u.

Posted by: janebond462 ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 09:14PM

My church has a prayer request time during the service. When the requests were finished on Sunday, the pastor mentioned there would be a special collection box at the back of the church. It was for a member's friend who'd been the subject of prayer requests. She was undergoing cancer treatment and would be out of work for at least three months. The collection was to help cover her expenses during that time. I was really touched by that.

Date: March 02, 2011 06:59PM

- but like they say, one pair of hands working will get more done than a hundred clasped in prayer. -

Who says that? I've never heard it, but I LIKE it!!

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 07:19PM

Ha ha. That is really funny, atheist.

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 09:51PM

I believe in sending good thoughts and vibes. + helping. Atheist "prayers" xD

Posted by: fallenangela ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 09:55PM

Similarly, it's really annoying and insulting when the pray-ers take the credit for something turning out as hoped. Like getting a new job. It couldn't possibly be someone is the best canditate for the job. It's the prayers, of course.

Stuff it indeed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.