Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angsty ( )
Date: March 02, 2011 07:49PM

So a few days ago I whined about my in-laws posting ignorant cultural references on my facebook wall. I've let a few slide since this is the most interest they've shown toward me in about ten years. I reserve the right to delete the worst of it, but I'm going to give them this last round just so they know I don't just make a policy of deleting only their posts (which, lately it seems like I do that more and more). I figure most everyone that knows me also knows that I'm a.) not a Mormon, and b.) don't exactly see eye to eye with the in-laws on much of anything. I trust that they will recognize that my in-laws' stupidity is their own.

I was still annoyed though. I just couldn't think of something clever and over their heads to respond with in order to make it clear that their ignorance is on display for the world to see. And it bugged me. I hated leaving it unanswered.

Then one of my totally non-Mormon friends took care of it for me.

I had posted that link to the lovely obituary/tribute that Mikey posted here. I found it really witty, and moving and it was clear that woman was loved. It had a quality that transcended the Mormon cultural perspective. It was really wonderful and made me feel a measure of peace about life and death even though I don't even believe in an afterlife or anything even remotely spiritual or religious.

Several of my very non-Mormon friends enjoyed it too, and passed it around to all their friends. My in-laws enjoyed it to, and passed it around to all their Mormon friends. It was like for a moment Mormons and Non-Mormons were brought together in human experience in a non-annoying, non-disgusting way.

Then my BIL posted something that really didn't make any sense (I'm still puzzled). As I was deliberating deletion, one of my DEAREST very nevermo friends responded with "If Charlie Sheen were a Mormon he might write like this".

Later in the day I discovered that both posts had been retracted by their respective authors. I take it the message was received loud and clear.

And I didn't have to do a thing.

It's good to have friends. :0)

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.