Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: September 23, 2010 04:02PM

This is a follow-up to a topic I posted on 9.22.2010 about God being merely thoughts or representations in our mind. Here is a link to a related article that appeared in Science Daily.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100921110956.htm

The gist of the article is the idea that we can exhibit greater self-control when we can talk to ourselves in order to work through challenges or simply the daily routine. The story is quite interesting.

In relation to my previous post, I'm convinced that sometimes we attribute that "inner voice" to God. Usually, we know that we are talking to ourselves even though we do it almost unconsciously. But in certain circumstances we focus on that inner conversation and, instead of knowing we are talking to ourselves, we believe it is God to whom we are speaking and who is speaking to us. I don't mean this in a lunatic or insane way. On the contrary, I think it is quite normal and natural and an important part of our evolution as human beings.

However, some of us can distinguish between God-talk and self-talk. Those of us who have come to the realization that God exists only in our mind (as opposed to Out There) understand that whatever internal conversation we have is just with ourselves and not with an external God. Those who cannot make that distinction are theists of one sort or another.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.