Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jim Huston ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 07:21AM

I don't know if this has been posted, I am not around much any more.

From the Huffington Post
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fred-karger/mormon-church-tries-to-re_b_739652.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 07:35AM

"Exactly How Many Church Members Have They Lost?

There have been reports that the Mormon Church has lost tens of thousands of members in California and other Western states over Prop 8, and that many highly educated Mormons have resigned from the Church. I have also heard that Mormon Church buildings are closing.

This hasn't happened since the 1970's, when they led the national opposition to another social justice issue, the Equal Rights Amendment. The ERA would have expanded the rights of women 35 years ago, when they were fighting for equal recognition under the law."

So much for divine guidance. Then again maybe god is interested in destroying his church. ;)

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 09:48AM

What comes around, goes around.

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 10:24AM

How amazing is it that God's One and Only True Church on the Face of the Earth has a 'pollster'? Or a PR manager even?

Will the Catholics and other Christians in here please tell us if your church has or requires these services?

Posted by: loves kids ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 01:18AM

My Christian,non-denominatial church requires nothing of me. That's what I love about it. If I were to stop going I can guarantee I wouldn't be shunned as I am now. I pay tithing when and how much I want. Everything I do there is up to me. What a concept!

Posted by: Utahnomo ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 10:54AM

With people starving around the world, the economy in the toilet, home foreclosures at record highs, and people in need everywhere you look isn't it nice to know that gawd is more interested in spending tens of millions of dollars to make the church look good to the public rather than helping those in need?

I remember back in the day the church was "proud" of being different and proudly called members "peculiar". Now all of a sudden the church is more interested in its "image" than in helping the needy. Do they REALLY think this is what gawd would want them to do with all that money?

Of course, when you are wasting 3 billion dollars on a shopping mall rather than helping the needy, what's a measly $20 million, right?

This church is so effed up and getting more effed up every day. I am so glad I am not associated with this bunch of idiots any longer!!!!!

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 10:54AM

Your posts may no longer be frequent, Jim, but they are *always* worth checking out.

And it is always interesting to learn where members' tithes actually are being funneled.

Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 11:22AM

WOW - Karger's article on the Huffington post mentions the website I was involved with in 2008 that led to the petitions and letters being delivered to the COB. Kinda nice to be remembered.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 11:24AM

"Whatever the real reason, it nice to know that any organization that undermines the public trust and breaks the law will suffer not only in its image, but that its enlightened members will walk away."

Gotta love it!

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 02:22PM

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 04:11PM

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 02:32PM

I think this is why they are building shopping malls. The product isnt selling so well anymore boys, and its time to diversify our assets.

Posted by: Flat Lander ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 02:40PM

I posted on this topic with a slightly different area of emphasis

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,5438

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 03:34PM

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 10:01PM

He said the brethren would even blink an eye at that amount. He said it was to beautify the area so people from outside Utah would go home with a good impression of the Mormon Church. He said the brethren know what they are doing ans I needed more faith in these men. He said these men know what they are doing.

The SP is a sharp guy too!

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 01:31AM

3 billion for a church to spend is strange. Spending it to build a mall is ludicrous. Beautify downtown! Knock down old buildings! Add green belts, create space for small businesses. Cheaper and probably a better investment.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 08:12AM

*** Howdy, Jim ***

A bit of wisdom from the reader's comments:

Reader Mike Tweedy:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/fred-karger/mormon-church-tries-to-re_b_739652.html

<quote>
I practiced Mormonism for my whole life. I'm 61 and only resigned my membership in the church two years ago after a lifetime of Mormon leadership positions. In the end, the Prop 8 shenanigans by the Mormon church were just too much for me. Like many practicing "Latter-day Saints," I was living with one foot in, one foot out. It's hard to say how many Mormons are like that. The beliefs are just too nutty for a huge percentage of the members to actually completely buy into, and the behavior of Mormons themselves (Mormons are taught to not respect normal appropriate boundaries) is often preposterously rude and unacceptable for many. So a large number of the practicing Mormons are actually quite doubtful, but continue to go to church because of the family problems that will rain down on their heads if they leave.
--->
But all said, a Mormon's ability to practice Mormonism is inversely proportional to his or her knowledge of Mormonism.
<---

To really feel good about the church, one has to close one's eyes and remain blissfully unawares of the true Joseph Smith, the true Brigham Young, the true Mormon leadership, and all the church's very demonstrable history. In the Information Age, this has become increasingly difficult to do for Mormons with an inquiring mind. As the Mormon Church continues to be its own worst enemy, shooting itself in its collective foot at each opportunity, more and more Mormons with inquiring minds will leave.

<endquote; emphasis is mine>

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 08:35AM

If we could safely follow the prophet, the church wouldn't be in such need of the latest damage control PR campaign. Nor would they be trying so hard to hide their involvement in political schemes like in California and Maine.

In fact, rather than try to backtrack and pay millions to fix the damage, he'd stand up straight and call all his detractors, both member and gentile alike to repentance.

'cuz you see, God calls prophets to stand on high walls and cry repentance and they take their lumps. They stand boldly in the city square and do not back down from the hecklers. Only men of men run for cover and try to lie their way out, not men of God.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.