Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: September 28, 2010 11:57PM

in Sacrament Meeting, or Gospel Doctrine Class, to express your views on Mormonism, would you do it? If so, what would you say for your words not to be marginalized, and to be taken seriously?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wcg ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 01:00AM

Then spend 10 minutes on the strangest of the strange of Mormon Doctrine, historical and current.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 01:17AM

Alas, I was never asked to speak. But I based it on the scripture in one of the Kings (I or II - I can't remember) where it talks about man looking on the outward appearance as opposed to the Lord who looks at the soul.

I wanted to touch upon - without being too offensive -- the fact that in the church we are taught so much to care about outward appearances, to the neglect of what is going on inside.

Never got the chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/2010 01:18AM by Laban's Head.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: September 29, 2010 03:39AM

and how I loved it as a small child. But as I grew up I saw a widening gap between what I was taught and what actually happened outside our small town. How I had a critically low self esteem as a teenager because I "sinned" in ways that made other people, like my wife, laugh out loud when I described it to her. No child should have to feel like a failure or a terrible person.

I would end with a reading of one or two of Walt Whitman's poems. Out of the Cradle Endlessly Rocking for sure and maybe The Sleepers.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.