Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PR Maverick ( )
Date: October 03, 2010 03:14PM

So inbetween sessions, they are now showing a PR blip about how people are joining the cult around the world. Isn't it glorious and inspiring?

The beginning starts off with Russia, painting it as a great new place for converts. This is quite misleading, as there aren't really lots of Russian members, to my knowledge.

I think there are a lot of sad desperate people in Russia (because even though there is financial freedom, to a certain extent, the people are still heavily controlled by the government of an ex-Stasi man, and very minimal human rights, esp. in the area of political freedoms, and the high cost of living is very difficult. On top of those two problems, people outside the big cities are living in a terribly poor environment where infrastructure and other problems are rampant) On top of this, there is rampant bribery and corruption everywhere to a much greater extent than in the West.

Part of the PR footage says how great it is for the converts to have found Mormonism, with one of the converts claiming the Russian government is taking kindly to Mormonism--yet the same video clip admits there is no Temple in Russia. they have to go to Ukraine. Right there, it tells me that the situation btwn government and the Mormon church is still not very positive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ss ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 08:51AM

Isn't two CULTures are similar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxeyXDwfwcY

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 09:29AM

Yes...there has been a wave of fake advertisements that show "cool" or "extraordinary people" and their lives/interests (like there is time for anything other than service work in the morg (skateboarding? No. Surfing..I don't think so) and they end these ads with the statement: and I am a mormon. Yuk.

One of the worst of these was a story the mother of 4 special needs children. The story was touching (special olympics) etc....right up until the end statement. It kinda ruined the whole feeling for me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.