Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 10:08PM

I downloaded Bruce McConkie's 1982 speech "Our Relationship With the Lord" from BYU's website, http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=602. Here's what the guy said:

"I shall expound the doctrine of the Church relative to what our relationship should be to all members of the Godhead and do so in plainness and simplicity so that none need misunderstand or be led astray by other voices.

"I shall express the view of the Brethren, of the prophets and apostles of old, and of all those who understand the scriptures and are in tune with the Holy Spirit. ...

"We worship the Father and him only and no one else. We do not worship the Son, and we do not worship the Holy Ghost. I know perfectly well what the scriptures say about worshipping Christ and Jehovah, but they are speaking in an entirely different sense—the sense of standing in awe and being reverentially grateful to him who has redeemed us. Worship in the true and saving sense is reserved for God the first, the Creator."

OK, sounds pretty straightforward. Then I read a Mormon apologist's spin at http://mormonmatters.org/2008/05/17/offenders-for-a-word-part-2-do-mormons-worship-jesus/. He goes on at remarkable length about how "nuanced" the speech is.

Sorry folks, but do they or don't they? Can anyone help with this? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: October 04, 2010 10:13PM

Mormons of course have a different conception of god than most Christian religions. The Mormon "godhead" is comprised of 3 physically separate peeps, well, except for the Holy Ghost who no one really has a good explanation for. The Holy Ghost is spirit.

I say there is no good explanation for the Holy Ghost b/c the Mormons place so much emphasis on receiving a perfect body in the resurrection, so its hard to explain a spirit god. Maybe he's the gay uncle.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.