Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 03:15PM

I'd previously posted about a "discussion" I was having with someone on youtube, wherein he had major problems with my asking him the question: "What if I could prove to you that the Book of Mormon isn't true without a shadow of a doubt? Would you want to know?" He said he would discuss but limit himself to the 4 "literary pieces" which make up Mormon's "quad(?)" (is that the term?). I told him "no." I told him the only sources he could use would be the Masoretic text of the Jewish Bible and the Stone (modern ultra-Orthodox) text of the Jewish Bible (as those I can consult and confirm what he's saying).

Well, he tried to prove the whole preexistence thing and the idea of the trinity and stuff. He also tried to put in stuff from the "Book of Moses" (is that a Mormon book? - I don't know). I told him that "No, you can't use the Book of Mormon. You agreed to Jewish texts only." Oh, and as to the trinity and that whole thing, I reminded him of Deut. 6:4, which says "Hear oh Israel, the L-rd our G-D, the L-rd is ONE" and asked him what part of ONE wasn't understood.

He tried pulling the Psalms out on me as to prove the multiplicity of G-D. I reminded him that the Psalms were written by a human being. He tried using some verses where G-D refers to Himself as "we," and I reminded him of the use of the "royal we," asking him if G-D was not entitled to use that as well, and that even when G-D (which in the Hebrew Bible is always written in the plural) is said, the verb that goes with it is always in the singular.

He realized he was in a losing battle and said he'd never contact me again nor would he respond to a note I sent, but that I would have my heart turn to discover "the truth." I wrote him back, but doubt he'll ever read it, telling him that I hoped he had a good life and that he'd finally discover the truth (whatever it actually is). I didn't mention that Mormondom was NOT the truth.

I just realized, though: I didn't spring my favorite anti-Mormon Biblical verse on him: Ps. 145:18! *sigh* Oh well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoflds ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 04:03PM

You won the moment you decided it wasn't true.

Mythology all.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: October 05, 2010 04:11PM

sonoflds Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You won the moment you decided it wasn't true.
>
> Mythology all.

I totally agree.

Arguing over religion is like arguing over who has the best imaginary friend.

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 12:50AM

(I'll probably get it for this, but here goes . . . )
As a very wise man said to me once: "Fighting over religion is like two retards fighting over a balloon filled with a fart".

Yep, god is only about as real as the BOM anyway.

Date: October 06, 2010 08:33AM

and wrote:

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6MVOV92cuA&feature=related
Proof of Nahom, just discovered around ten years ago.
1 Nephi 16:34 "And it came to pass that aIshmael died, and was buried in the place which was called bNahom."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yemx2inwkHk
Proof of Bountiful, also just recently discovered around ten years ago.
1 Nephi 17:1 "And it came to pass that we did again take our journey in the wilderness; and we did travel nearly eastward from that time forth."
17:5 "And we did come to the land which we called aBountiful, because of its much fruit and also wild honey; and all these things were prepared of the Lord that we might not perish. And we beheld the sea, which we called Irreantum, which, being interpreted, is many waters."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nNwZKapN-I&feature=related
Fruitful land

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEy7W8WJx5c&feature=related
Land of Honey

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLK1aeUSzEY
Proof of Iron Ore Nephi used to make tools to build ship.
1 Nephi 17:10 "And it came to pass that the Lord told me whither I should go to find ore, that I might make tools."
17:16 "And it came to pass that I did amake tools of the ore which I did molten out of the rock."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5FT-Q09Krc&feature=related
Nephi goes on mountain to commune with God and there are cliffs that his brothers wanted to throw him off of into the sea.
1 Nephi 17:7 "And it came to pass that after I, Nephi, had been in the land of Bountiful for the space of many days, the voice of the Lord came unto me, saying: aArise, and get thee into the mountain. And it came to pass that I arose and went up into the mountain, and cried unto the Lord."
17:48 "And now it came to pass that when I had spoken these words they were angry with me, and were desirous to throw me into the depths of the sea."

There is many more archiological evidences that proove the Book of Mormon to be true.
This was all discovered long after Joseph's time. There is no possible way that Joseph could have known about Nahom or Bountiful when the world had not known about those places until just ten years ago.

There is no possible way you can argue against this evidence. If you truly watched the videos and read the evidence you would have absolutely nothing to say. Everyone says that there is no factual evidence for the Book of Mormon but there is plenty.

The Book of Mormon is true.
Therefore the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is true.

Pwned"

I reminded him that he was not allowed to use the Book of Mormon for purposes of the discussion. I told him it and the cult weren't true, and that the cult was a destructive cult/corporation masquerading as a church. I then pulled two Biblical verses out on him: Deut 6:4 and Ps. 145:18.

I also told him he cheated.

Date: October 07, 2010 10:37AM

This time, any suggestions, please?

"Brother! I broke my rules again but I can't help to respond to these messages. Haha.

If you watched the videos they prove through the earth itself that it's true!

There are actual archeological sites for the BoM. There is an actual ruined port in the land bountiful that was used for making a ship.

These places are for real. In real life! They found them!

I mean I wouldn't be telling you these thing if I didn't care about you. I wouldn't be telling you these things just for the sake of arguing. No way :)

They just found these places and NOBODY knew about them until just ten years ago.

Nobody includes Jose Smeeth. (with Spanish accent)

(Excuse my comedy I'm in a great mood today) :D"

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:28AM

Just because one can prove Jerusalem existed 2500 years ago doesn't prove that the stories in the Bible are true.
And even if the places in the BofM were shown to have existed, it still wouldn't prove that the corporation of the president is the only true church. Its still a real estate investment firm that masquerades as a church.

Date: October 07, 2010 11:41AM

I was thinking about the Cave of Machpela, for instance.

Posted by: Michaelm ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:40AM

Give him this:

http://www.khazaria.com/genetics/abstracts-jews.html

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/06/genetics-the-jewish-question/

Tell him that if there were any DNA proof of Israelite people in America before Columbus it would be found.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 11:42AM by michaelm.

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 11:47AM

Challenge him missionary style to find one (yep, just 1) non-LDS, peer-reviewed scientific reference that connects these archeological finds to the BoM and promise him you'll pray about it then.

Just one!

Date: October 07, 2010 11:55AM

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Uh, what do you mean, "challenge him, missionary style"?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2010 11:55AM by michael.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 01:02PM

He means face to face, horizontal. One on top of the other.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 01:22PM

You lost the moment you engaged the automoton.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.