Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 08:15AM

Had to stroll over there and see what they're up to. Making excues for their Church an it's leaders; claiming it's all just a big misunerstanding......

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a24613073/changes_to_text_of_pres._packers_talk

Here are a few jems

“I know not everyone will be satisfied with the changes, but I think they're good in that they bring the talk more unequivocally in line with previous statements by church leaders that the root cause of homosexuality may well be biological. I think it's harder to "misread" the text now. It's still very firm, as is Pres. Packer's style, but some of the things that really concerned me the most have been tidied up.”

“My guess is that what you're reading is the original talk, and when he was speaking, he probably ad-libbed (sp?) a bit. I've noticed that before when I've watched the talks again, while reading the text in the Ensign. Perhaps they get ahead of the teleprompter or behind or something and say it in a different way than it is written.
If I had to guess, the "new" written version is the original... but I could be wrong.”

“This makes SO MUCH more sense now. I didn't watch Conference because at work, and after all the hooplah on here (yet not on FB, weird) I've been waiting for the text to come out so I could read the talk. And...I didn't see anything I hadn't heard a million times before. This is also true with the original text, but I can see how it could be perceived differently.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 08:29AM

Okay, since a Prophet Seer and Revelator speaks to us under the power and direction of the Holy Ghost, and we may know that his words are the mind and will of God, is he wrong to stray from the teleprompter, or is he wrong to read from it?

The short of this issue is that people were enraged and saddened by his comments. The parts that were deemed most hurtful have been removed from the text that will undoubtedly show up on websites around the world.

He said it. The faithful heard it.

The church decided to omit what the faithful are taught to accept as prophetic counsel from their President of the Q12--The mind and will of God--- in order to gain favor from "The World".

Posted by: dr5 ( )
Date: October 08, 2010 08:59AM

Yep, it's all about PR. The faithful way got the message.

Surely Packer's hate and bigotry has been learned and cultivated, and is not innate. Why would HF do THAT to anyone?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.