Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Queen of Denial ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 07:00PM

Just another example of corporate re-branding...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 07:00PM by Queen of Denial.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 07:05PM

I know some who are part-time saints...

Posted by: Holy the Ghost ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 07:23PM

According to the new CHI, members are encouraged to refer to themselvesnot as Mormons, not as LDS, but as the Church of Jesus Christ.
Without looking it up, I think one of the other restorationist branches already co-opted that name. Hendrickites? Bickertonites? I'm pretty sure one of those already refers to itself as the Church of Jesus Christ.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 11:34PM

http://www.thechurchofjesuschrist.org/

http://www.thechurchofjesuschrist.org/apostles.cfm

They're a pretty good group, somewhere between the Orthodoxy of the Temple Lot Church of Christ and the More liberal Community of Christ. They still follow the Washing of Feet once a month and greeting with the Holy Kiss (peck on the cheek). We had a small email exchange a couple years ago, and disci=overed that there is a group near our home but we never checked them out.

Posted by: Holy T ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 11:57PM

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 10:55AM

Posted by: anon123 ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 07:47PM

I remember being told a few years back that "we(when I was TBM)" don't like referring ourselves as Mormons. This from my TBM dad.

Posted by: LongOut ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 08:06PM

I forgot. What did Henrickson call his store-front new church? He proudly hung the sign in the window in an episode of Big Love.

The media is bringing them down, unintentionally. Mormonism is the new fascination..on Broadway (The Book of Mormon, the Musical);
TV (Family Guy, South Park)...and literature.

A screenplay about Mark Hofmann would be interesting...And televised screenplay about MMM.

Oh, also now in college sports, too. If that "revelation" hadn't occurred in 1978, Stanford would have refused to play football against the 100% White and Delightsome football team, BYU. Impressive that God had the current prophet on speed dial.

But what about Mitt? Yes, more investigation by the media into his famous flip-flopping. he Quorum must be spinning with spin control.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 10:34PM

I especially love it when the local news stations here in Salt Lake City have a story that involves the church and they have to waste all that air time saying thechurchofjesuschristoflatterdaysaints...whew!

Posted by: LongOut ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 10:45PM

HahahahaH!
Once I had to answer the phone at health club;
"CaptainAmerica'sFamilyFitnessCenterWhereAmericaGetsFitThisIsDumDumMayIHelpYou?"

"Click"

or "PharmacyCorporationOfAmericaYourProfessionalPartnersInPatientCAre" (Click)

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 11:02AM

I used to have to say "it's a great way to get in shape at 24 hour fitness this is dumb ditz how may I help you?"

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 11:02PM

well they're owning it now. Their official podcasts / you tube channels have mormons plastered all over the place.

Posted by: GQ Cannonball ( )
Date: March 03, 2011 11:46PM

It goes in cycles, depending on who their PR firm happens to be at the time.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 11:05AM

Many corporations change their branding. When Bank of America merged with Nation Bank, we were no longer to call it BofA in our emails or in conversation. We were to say the whole name. Now in present day, it's back to saying BofA.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 12:13AM

It seems to me that if they did not change the name of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, they never were serious about stopping the use of Mormon.

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 03:05AM

I'm a neverMo, and am older.

I remember "We're not Christian, we're Mormon," and also, if I'm getting this right, "Mormon is not a swear word," from the mid 70s.

We had Mormon neighbors, and lived near the airport and DCSC (Columbus, OH) where there were lots of military families working and living. Quite a few were Mormon.

But I was under the impression (from here, some online news articles and in conversation with a Mormon) that the word Mormon now, is being touted by most LDS as being equal to "boy" in the African American community. Seen as a slur, or "fightin' words" would be seen, and an occasion to go on the attack towards non-believers.

Good point, MJ, about the name of the choir! If they want to be known as something else, or level charges that "outsiders" like me are being unfair or re wrong for using it, they'll need to jettison that one.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 10:23AM

I am not sure what the policy is now. However several years ago some mormon missies came to my house and every time I said mormon,,the one would correct me,,"IT'S THE CHIRCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS!" They finally gave up on me and left.

Posted by: lostinutah ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 10:24AM

...that's because they finally figured out you were unworthy. <snicker>

Posted by: Truthseeker ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 11:03AM

The morg understands the power of branding, and they regret having ever sent a letter to read in SM stating members should refrain from calling themselves mormon.

I tell my girls that they are not to use the word mormon because mormons can not be trusted because they are violent and stupid. Every time we drive by the church my youngest asks if there are any mormons there; and if we are there for some clerking duty and no one else is around she always wants all the hall lights turned on to protect us from the mormons.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 11:26AM

They released a press statement to the world saying that the Mormon church is not to be referred to as "the Mormon church" or "the LDS church" but as The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, The Church of Jesus Christ or The Church. It earned them quite a bit of eye-rolling at the time.

Then about six months later when the FLDS were in the news for something, the Mormon church released another press statement saying that they are the only ones who can accurately be referred to as Mormon. There is no such thing as a Mormon splinter group, because those people aren't Mormons! Thus, much head-scratching ensued.

It was really silly. Both of those press statements used to be on their website, and I used to post them both side by side for laughs. Then a few years ago, they changed their website and I couldn't find them anymore.

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 04:35PM

Yes I remember that.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 05:13PM

If this had been done to more clearly name the church, it would have been fine. Unfortunately, it already had a clear name - Mormon, so this charade tended to confuse people, many of whom didn't know TCOJCOLDS and the Mormons were one and the same.

Adding to the fiasco was their objecting to reporters calling the FLDS "fundamentalist Mormons".

Then they created the website Mormon.org.

And even they had to admit "I'm a Mormon" (see current video campaign) rolls off the tongue a lot smoother than "I'm a member of TCOJCOLDS".

Their initial goal, to punish people who were claiming Mormons were not Christian, was manipulative and lacked integrity. As with most actions that are manipulative and lack integrity, it completely failed.

Idiots!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.