Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 05:36PM

http://www.lds-mormon.com/hardy

This may be familiar to people here, but it was new to me. It was posted on someones facebook wall.

BKP knew the anguish his stance leaves people in. He just doesn't care.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 05:56PM

I believe Packer is an unfeeling person who really has no care for the anguish of others. I would generally refrain from such a harsh statement about another, but in experiences I have had with him years ago and seeing his actions, writings and statements over the years since then, I have only seen a pompous, self-serving man whose only interest is self-glorification.

His remarks at conference go far beyond cruelty in my opinion, almost to the point of sadistic - as if in some way he enjoys knowing the suffering and pain that he brings.

It makes me hugely angry and sad at the same time.

Had I not resigned already, I would surely do so now.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 06:56PM

He put a huge emphasis on the suffering his daughter went through while giving birth to one of his grand-children. It was like he was reveling in the fact that she was so delirious that she, 'saw the other side.' I didn't know about sadism then, but now that you've mentioned it, he sure seems like one. It puts a whole new light on his personality.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 09, 2010 11:47PM

How can anyone not be effected by it? Everyone in the church should read it.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 06:04PM

http://www.thenation.com/article/mormon-family-values?page=0,0

How did I miss all this back then? The morg was able to convince me not to go to certain sites where I might find it I guess.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: October 06, 2010 07:01PM

I think BKP just considers everyone to be acceptable collateral damage in his quest. Who cares that he looses 2/3s of his volunteers? Who cares that people kill themselves? Cannon fodder in the war.

Posted by: Joseph ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 10:03AM

I think Packer honestly believes that his ideas are not really his: he thinks they come from a sacred Santa Claus who has appointed him as a "humble" (I think he really sees himself as being humble) spokesperson. He has succeeded in turning his reason completely off, such that for him "theory" (the Mormon plan of salvation) is prior to "reality" (which includes things like the possibility for natural, moral homosexuality). In other words, life for him has no surprises: no matter what happens, he retreats to theory (the Mormon gospel) to explain away reality. I do not think he is even aware that his theory is idiosyncratic and personal (i.e. a product of his own mind); I think he really believes his personal ideas are the mind and will of a real Supreme Being (whom he is "following" in his mind, even as the rest of us see him usurping the role of divinity for himself and his intolerably narrow view of the world).

That is my reading of him, for what it's worth.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: October 07, 2010 09:13PM

Packer sadly didn't care that you poured your heart and soul into the letter.

Posted by: orsonsplatt ( )
Date: October 10, 2010 12:10AM

Does anyone have a current link to Packer's "To the One"? The lds-mormon link doesn't display it anymore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.