Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Farewell Babylon ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 12:22AM

These fourteen points on the Living Prophet™ were given over the pulpit at General Conference™ twice!

I believe that this rhetoric is a precursor to The Church’s™ eventual rejection of The Teachings™ of it’s own deceased Prophets™. It also primes it’s Members™ for an about-face on certain topics, including, but not limited to, homosexuality and gay marriage.

To me, this Talk™ clearly shines a light on how truly cultish The Church™ really is. The last line is alarming.

Our Very Survival
KEVIN R. DUNCAN
Of the Seventy

“First: The prophet is the only man who speaks for the Lord in everything.
“Second: The living prophet is more vital to us than the standard works.
“Third: The living prophet is more important to us than a dead prophet.
“Fourth: The prophet will never lead the Church astray.
“Fifth: The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time.
“Sixth: The prophet does not have to say ‘Thus saith the Lord’ to give us scripture.
“Seventh: The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know.
“Eighth: The prophet is not limited by men’s reasoning.
“Ninth: The prophet can receive revelation on any matter, temporal or spiritual.
“Tenth: The prophet may be involved in civic matters.
“Eleventh: The two groups who have the greatest difficulty in following the prophet are the proud who are learned and the proud who are rich.
“Twelfth: The prophet will not necessarily be popular with the world or the worldly.
“Thirteenth: The prophet and his counselors make up the First Presidency—the highest quorum in the Church.
“Fourteenth: [Follow] … the living prophet and the First Presidency … and be blessed; reject them and suffer.”

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 02:08AM

Rubbish....yes, the last line is cultish for sure. And if the prophet can receive revelation on any matter, why have there been no recent revelations?

Posted by: Ms. ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 02:11AM

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 03:47AM

so it is NOT revelation anymore, cause maybe Little Tommy Monson will want to reveal that only widows can wear earrings or something. See how it goes???

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 05:02AM

I would have thought they had buried it long ago. It's that embarrassing.

Date: October 17, 2010 10:34AM

They must have been best buddies, though?

Posted by: freedomissweet ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 06:10AM

So Monson is more important than Joseph Smith.
Well how come they are grateful to JS for bringing the 'true' church to the earth, but all they can be grateful to Tommy for is learning what ear-rings to wear. I'm confused. Glad I'm out.

Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 08:48AM

If any of the invariably brink-of-death profits gives a direct order, one can always say, "Well, I think I'll wait a few months and see what the next guy has to say." You can hold off on obedience indefinitely that way!

Posted by: ThinkingOutLoud ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 09:02AM

I love the everpresent blame-game going on here:

If you disbelieve, you are flawed--it's not the Prophet or his message that is at fault.

If you question, you are unworthy; if you disobey these always changing, confusing commandments and instructions, it is willful, not a mistake; if you seek truth sincerely and find that which is counter to the Prophet's words and understanding--even in a former Prophet's words and actions, YOU are unworthy, not they.

When the Prophet makes an error, it is in the service of God, and you cannot judge him---but when you err, we, he and God will judge and punish you.

??????

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 09:14AM

I must confess that in my TBM days, I thought that this was just about the most important counsel ever. I remember several years ago as I used this talk in Sacrament meeting. Never once did I consider it as anything less than a perfect roadmap for our faith, and I tried to live it while my mental shelf groaned and groaned under the weight of unresolved WTFs.

Well, I was wrong. It is a perfect roadmap for obedience and conformity, for shutting down the mind and never wondering why the prophets contradict each other. It is the command to always bow your head and say yes to eveything, no matter how opposite the last command.

Posted by: HIS_DUDENESS ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 10:13AM

I married a faithful mormon and became curious about all the contradictions and disgraces in mormon history. I studied it seriously after I found out how much tithiing she gives.

What I get from her after bringing up bogus LDS church history is:
She doesnt understand polygamy, most mormons do not understand polygamy, and most mormon women would not want to live under polygamy.
Whenever a Prophet has spoken in error in the past, he "was speaking as a man, and not a Prophet". With this she can reconcile that Brigham Young said that Blacks would only get to heaven as slaves.
That the mormons have continuing revealation that cancels out things/LDS Prophet actions of the past we/mormons dont understand.
That the reason there is no archeological, and genetic evidence for the Book of Mormon is that the "earth has changed and shifted in hunderds of years".

Date: October 17, 2010 12:05PM

Church Resignations Now Exceed 15,000
published yesterday 04:53 PM, updated today 06:16 PM
Some 10,000 members have resigned from the Evangelical Lutheran Church

Image: YLE

The number of people resigning from the Evangelical Lutheran Church in the wake of last week’s TV discussion programme on homosexuality and the church continues to rise. The number of resignations has now exceeded 15,000. Minister of Culture, Stefan Wallin points the finger of blame for the mass resignations at the leader of the Christian Democrats, Päivi Räsänen.

On Saturday alone, some 4,500 members resigned from the church. By late afternoon Sunday, a further 2,300 had quit, according to figures released by the Finnish language online service “eroakirkosta.fi”.

Minister of Culture, Stefan Wallin has pointed the finger of blame for the mass church resignations at the leader of the Christian Democrat Party, Päivi Räsänen.

In last week’s TV debate on homosexuality and the church, Räsänen presented an uncompromising, fundamentalist view on the issue.

Wallin, the Minister who has government responsibility for church affairs said if Räsänen’s purpose was to turn the clock back and reduce congregation numbers, she should state her intention directly. He added Räsänen should not duck the consequences when her selective view of humanity influenced both the reputation and economy of the church.

The Minister of Culture said active membership was the best way to influence church policy.

“Upcoming church elections were a good method to do this,” Wallin encouraged.

Church Worried Over Financial Consequences

The Evangelical Lutheran Church is worried over the financial consequences following the growing number of resignations from its ranks.

The Bishop of the Diocese of Mikkeli, Seppo Häkkinen, said on Saturday reduced funding from church taxes would be seen, for example, in work amongst children and the young. On Saturday, the Bishop said tax losses to the church due to resignations could even top two million Euros annually.

Over 15,000 Finns have left the ranks of the Evangelical Lutheran Church since last week’s TV discussion programme. Under normal circumstances, resignations total about 400 members of the course of three days.

Archbishop Calls for Members to Stay

On Friday, Archbishop Kari Mäkinen said it was unfortunate and incredible that people were leaving the church on the issue of homosexuality. He hoped members would reflect, and influence within the ranks of the church by expressing their opinions. So far, his advice has gone unheeded

The Archbishop emphasized the church was far more diversified in accordance with Christian principles than the views expressed in some extreme statements by individuals.

Proposals for a law allowing gender neutral marriage have divided church ranks in Finland. Some clergy say the church might give up its right to solemnize marriages if such a law is enacted while others take a more liberal approach on the issue.

YLE

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 03:37PM

I don't see how they could ever mainstream the church if they continue to hold onto the belief that the profit is higher than the bible. This goes hand in hand with the idea that the followers of the church should follow the profit no matter what the scriptures say.

This will not work well for Romney.

Posted by: rwg ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 04:27PM

"We've always been at war with East Asia. Eurasia has always been our friend." (courtesy of Orwell)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 04:43PM

>“Tenth: The prophet may be involved in civic matters.

Tell THAT to the tax authorities!

Just what political campaigns do they propose to run in the near future?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.