Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: I finally left ( )
Date: October 15, 2010 11:21PM

In a post about Mark Hoffman, someone mentioned a letter J.S. wrote about being attacked by 2 vampires.

What??? I thought I'd heard it all. I left TSCC 4 years ago after learning "everything," or so I thought.

Is this for real?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: davetheseer ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 04:03AM

You could probably approach a fairly well-read LDS dude, and ask him his thoughts on the letter Joseph Smith wrote to Isaac Hale where Joseph discusses being attacked by two vampires. The LDS dude might very well find a way to work the vampire letter into their beliefs.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 04:47AM

Seriously? I need to do some research on this when I am not on my iPod. This would be a great story for the Halloween season if it has any truth to it.

Posted by: Anon ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 07:12AM

Halloween is coming up!

This would be a great story for retelling, especially to our TBM relatives & friends!

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 11:08PM

come on, try to maintain some integrity

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 10:38AM

Ha ha, must be where Stephanie Meyer got the idea for the nearly 1000 pages of drivel she wrote. Of course I read the Twilight series when they came out, because she was a member of the church!

Posted by: Verdacht ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 12:35PM

Never heard that one. Well, maybe it's advantage Church with all the vampire interest lately.

Read Dracula but never the Twilight stuff. Good for Meyer, though. Can't begrudge her success.

Posted by: chipsnsalsa ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 06:45PM

It's not the success I'm begrudging... it's the horrible messages she sends young girls. "Sex is scary and will hurt you!" "Men are powerful and must be respected. They may also hurt you." Not to mention the anti-abortion thread she has running through the stories. Non.Sense.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 03:11PM

Sorry- never heard of that before. The story hisfather told was that he had been attacked three times by men/ruffians while he ran through the woods with the plates, twice knocking him down.

Going through all the records published by Howes, Brodie, Morgan, Tucker and others there has never been any mention of vampires.

However, there was the reference to 'something that resembled a toad' which is where Hofmann decided sounded better as a salamander.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 05:04PM

Poor buggers died of food poisoning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2010 05:04PM by matt.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 05:33PM

References plz?

Posted by: Fetal Deity ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 06:30PM

The original post by "Duder" referencing "vampires" stated the following:

"You could probably approach a fairly well-read LDS dude, and ask him his thoughts on the letter Joseph Smith wrote to Isaac Hale where Joseph discusses being attacked by two vampires. The LDS dude might very well find a way to work the vampire letter into their beliefs."

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,14618,14756#msg-14756

Maybe Duder could clarify his statement, but I'm pretty sure he was just making a point. That is if, HYPOTHETICALLY, you approached a Mormon apologist and CLAIMED that Joseph Smith had a run-in with a couple of vampires, that the apologist could find some kind of "logical" explanation for it--something that was perfectly "in tune" with "The Gospel." That is what Mormon apologists (both professional and amateur) do--they defend the indefensible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/18/2010 12:37AM by Fetal Deity.

Posted by: i finally left ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 07:29PM

Thanks Fetal Deity --

That must be it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.