Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 05:58PM

I have a million questions I would to ask-but I will save them for another time. My dh just told me that JS has had over 10,000 books written about him. And that he is the most written about person in the history of the world. Please tell me yay or nay and maybe something to back it up. I can't believe that number. Actually I don't believe much of anything good about JS. I have done hundreds and hundreds of hours of research on lds history etc.but I've never heard this fact. Thanks for your input.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 06:00PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 06:05PM

In TBMs minds only.

Do they really think that more books have been written about JS than about Jesus, for example? If that is true, then it just shows where The Cult's true loyalties lay, because the vast majority of those books were written by TBMs.

It also represents a variation of the argument from majority fallacy: "there have been more books written about JS than anybody else, so he must have been a true prophet of God".

They are also confusing quantity with quality.

Posted by: scarecrowfromoz ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 11:12PM

Joseph Smith is not even known to most Americans, and once you get outside of there, the percentage who have ever heard of him will be a fraction of a percent.

I'm sure more has been written about Hitler than JS. Even if there were 10,000 books written about JS, 5000 would be by Morgbot GA's and authors to sell for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for them. The other 5000 would be written by those exposing that JS was a fraud.

On, and by the way loveskids, you don't have to present anything to back up your position (prove there aren't 10,000). It is up to the person making the claim to prove it (and not by citing some GA who said JS is the most written about person in history). To make such a claim about a minor Cult figure in the U.S. that most people have never heard of is laughable.

Posted by: jw the inquizzinator ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 10:12PM

Date: October 18, 2010 01:47AM

Thanks everyone for the response. My dh gets ALL his info from FARMS and Fair and won't even consider looking elsewhere. I have written down about 50 "Reasonable Doubts" (from Richard Packam) for him to look at,but he has no interest in researching anything. I guess he assumes I just made all this stuff up? The further I get away from the lds church,the more mormon he becomes. It's very frustrating. I hit him with "you know I am an apostate now so we won't be together in the mormon CK. Plus what about our 5 kids that are not lds?" He said we all would be together-reguardless of our beliefs. And anything I show him from the Bible that disputes what the mormons teach-he says that's why we have the bom. To "fix" all the mistakes. Holy cow mormons are full of themselves.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 02:30AM

The most written about person in the history of the world?

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!

Does that include the episode of South Park?

You're right, Loveskids, Mormons are full of themselves.

Posted by: Miss Casey ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 11:56PM

How many movies not including the horrible, cheesy, lds films we watched in seminary.

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 04:26AM

One of the most amazing things about Mormonism is the fact that it is so self-contained and self-centered. Some Mormons seem to think that because JS is the center of their world, that the rest of the world attaches a high degree of importance to him.

Posted by: brigantia ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 05:11AM

Posted by: LehiExMo ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 05:53AM

Some quick searching on Amazon for some perspective.

"Abraham Lincoln" - 14,909
"George Washington" - 13,058
"Charles Darwin" - 4,591
"Joseph Smith" - 3,635
"Adolf Hitler" - 3,393
"Barack Obama" - 3,388
"Karl Marx" - 3,141
"Joseph Stalin" - 1,384

"bible" - 244,140
"book of mormon" - 4,145

Posted by: loveskis ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 10:29PM

Thanks alot LehiExMo. 3,000 plus makes much more sense.The numbers puts things in perspective.It's pretty funny that there are almost as many books mentioning Obama than there are JS. I mean,Obama hasn't been around very long. I would imagine he will top the list,or get close before his time in office is over.

Date: October 19, 2010 12:55AM

I just showed my dh the list of people. He was quite surprised and said "I guess I was a little off huh?" Funny boy

Posted by: orsonsplatt ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 03:56PM

You should also consider that 3,635 includes anyone with that name. Both Joseph and Smith are among the most popular names in English.

If anyone has a Lexis-Nexis account you could do some creative searches to find a rough comparison of his popularity compared to other historical figures.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 05:53AM

and I'm sure there are lots more. I haven't made it through one about the other JS. Unless you count the BOM and D+C. I made it through those.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:05PM

Remember that all of this is in English. That can be pretty arrogant to assume that because it is a list in English, it can trump any other list in any other language---in the history of the world.

But Lehi has an accurate list from English. First is Jesus, second is Abraham Lincoln.

But you might want to see how many book have been written about Mohammed in Arabic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.