Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chipper ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 03:25AM

When I used to hang out here many years ago, it was very rare to see someone in their teens finding and hanging out on the board. I was wondering if that's changed. Who's a teen here, and either leaving the church, doubting it, or stuck pretending to believe in it until you can leave home? (You have my sympathy, by the way! Such a difficult situation to be in.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 06:02AM

Would have made my life a LOT easier. The internet was pretty new then. I'm glad to see so many as well. Those of you who are need to find a way to share this with your friends. I didn't know anyone else who was leaving and I was lonely.

Posted by: Thithter Thim ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:57AM

Me too...I would have benefited greatly when I was a teenager. But better finding it at 27 than never, right?

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:37PM

I wish I had known the true history of the church before 20. I just found out the real truth, this spring at 30. I would never have come back at age 25, had I known the truth earlier...

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:01AM

Okay, this is TMI, but I have underwear older than that!

Just sayin'...

Ron

Posted by: VardaElentari ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 10:25AM

And sometimes I return for some ideas, support, etc.

Posted by: php ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:48PM

I'm a rare one :). I'm 19 and only my innermost family knows I don't believe anymore. I still go to church with them and have fun asking teachers probing questions when they say something inaccurate or historically false. But, its really hard to see all my peers and even the older generation of Mormons ignorantly eat up most of the false doctrine. Gonna save my resignation until its time to move out, or when I've had enough talks with the missionaries. But, I'm staying a member so I can talk to my friends + other members and get them to think a little. Next week I will be talking to my home teachers about the nature of God. It will be good.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 09:25PM

That is very smart of you. Spread some seeds of doubt now, and then when you can be free, cut and run. Begin a great new life!

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 01:50PM

I left when I was 20. This website was hard to ignore for someone like me. I am still incredibly grateful that Eric and Susan keep this running.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:04PM

The church invests billions of dollars on missions, institute programs, church schools. They constantly indoctrinate the youth to serve a mission or marry a return missionary. They want to get you married to another church member ASAP and get you tied down with children. Of course the final shackle is the temple marriage. They figure once they get you to that point, they have you for the rest of your life.

Heaven forbid you leave home, start thinking for yourself, and fall in love with a non-member where they and their family can influence you.

No. People in their 20's discovering a new whole world and leaving the Mormon fold is their biggest fear and has been for years.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:08PM

This is a new generation that has a lot of guts! If you don't like the LDS Church/Mormonism, for any reason at all, get out when you are young. It's so much easier.
Like ExmormonRon, I have underwear older than that also!! LOL OK, Ok, so I need to clean out my dresser once in awhile!! :-)
FYI: in case anyone cares, I left in my late 50's. I was a convert at about 20.
And just so there is no confusion, I loved it for a very long time.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:59PM

Of course "this ... generation has guts" ... it's been reserved for the great latter day struggle, don't you know.

In all seriousness, when I teach kids nowadays, you can just see the difference. They can cut through your BS better than I could at that age.

Posted by: samantha ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:12PM

My family resigned about a year and a half ago, right before I turned 18. Emotionally, the church was dead to me during my whole senior year of high school (age 17.)

Posted by: ohlookacat ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:59PM

19 here

Posted by: Yewt102 ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 03:04PM

I'm 20 now, but I was 16 when I connected the dots that Mormonism wasn't any different than any other religion.

When I was a senior in HS my mom pulled me aside to tell me she was very ashamed of what she found in the internet history. I figured I must had neglected to delete something "shameful" and naughty from the files of viewing history when actually my mom was upset that this site was on the rolls.

Turns out my dad had been paruzzin around on exmo and my mother automatically assumed it was my doing haha.

That was the first time I heard about exmormon.org and I'm glad I found out about it.

Date: October 19, 2010 09:28PM

Yeah for your DAD. That is cool. And now you can move ahead in life with your parents just fine with freedom from Mormonism.

Posted by: Strykary ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:06PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 08:06PM by Strykary.

Posted by: FlirtandConvert ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:34PM

I was twenty when I found this board, so glad its here. 24 now and the kids and I are free as birds!

Date: October 19, 2010 09:29PM

How wonderful and I bet you can be a big help to younger folks who come here.

Posted by: anon for this ya'll ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:36PM

As soon as I was out of my parents house, I wrote the letter, and haven't looked back (until they force themselves into the spotlight, and cry "You can leave the church but you can't leave the church alone" ... I'd be glad to, if you wouldn't bring it up)

Posted by: georgedubya ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 09:16PM

15!! And regretting being a Mormon, lol. Very glad I saw the light early though!

Date: October 19, 2010 09:28PM

great moniker!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.