Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 01:06PM

It was announced on TMZ that the Lehi Police have wrapped up their investigation last week into the Kody Brown Bigamy allegations and have forwarded their findings to the Utah Attorney General's Office. So....

What are the chances that Kody will be prosecuted for Bigamy?

You gotta imagine that certain people will be calling that office encouraging them to do something about it especially with him flaunting his lifestyle on TV every week.

This is pretty stupid of Kody Brown if you ask me...why take the risk??? If this goes to court is there any chance he will be found innocent of the charges??

You've got to imagine that States Exhibit #1 will be tapes from Sister Wives itself with them going on and on about being his wives and since these women can clearly be classed as Common Law Wives....this seems like an incredibly stupid blunder.

The ones I really feel sorry for are the poor kids.

(That daughter can forget about getting into the Naval Academy)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 01:10PM

and give them mandatory counseling instead of jail time. They usually investigate cases like this for welfare fraud. I'm sure their decision to prosecute will be based largely on what other laws they are breaking.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 01:11PM

I don't think UT wants to get into this mess. After all, they started it! :-0

My guess is that he didn't check out the UT laws on bigamy, or if he did, he didn't think he was breaking them.

It always surprises me how women are attracted to men I think are duds. Misfits, odd balls. And Mr. Brown qualifies in my opinion. :-) I don't get the attraction! He is no prize.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 18, 2010 01:16PM

I'll be surprised if they prosecute. I don't know why I feel that way. It doesn't sound like they are living off welfare like Tom Green's wives were and it doesn't look like any of the wives were too young to have sex with him when he married them.

I'd assume he is doing it for the money.

As for why they'd marry a dud, Susie--I guess some women think someone else's man is better than no man at all?!?!? (I do know women like this.)

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:13PM

I don't think they'll get prosecuted either. The FLDS has big money and I'm sure there are folks in the system that take bribes from them to overlook these kind of things....jmo.

Posted by: voweaver ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 02:45PM

The marriage ceremony was deliberately not shown. I doubt it was a legal ceremony, with the marriage certificate filed at the County Hall of Records. It's my understanding that the charge of Bigamy is valid only when you are talking about legal marriages, when somehow the wives get together and each pulls out a presumably legal, filed certificate.

The only mentions of money are the fact that Kody works in "advertising," and two of the wives (Jolene? and Robyn) are employed. I am more curious about how his health insurance claims are handled. Kaiser Permanente is supposed to have a very liberal view about domestic partnerships, but I don't know if that includes multiple spouses and their children.

~VOW

Date: October 19, 2010 03:17PM

According to Utah’s bigamy statute,

“A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person.” Utah Code Ann. § 76-7-101(1) (2003).

The law, therefore, applies not just to individuals who have obtained multiple marriage licenses, but also to those who are legally married to only one person, while also engaging in other marriage-like relationships that are not recognized by the state. "

http://www.acluutah.org/bigamystatute.htm

This law runs smack dab into freedom of religion and therein lies the dilemma.

Personally, I don't think there will be any prosecution.
In an investigation, they are looking for abuses also.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 03:28PM

Religious isolation of young women (and men) where they are indoctrinated to think men are directed by God to boink multiple women and that women should just go along with it.

I don't think there is anything that can be done about it since the cause lies in the right of religion to brainwash and isolate.

The biggest tools to combat the problem are education and exposure to ideas outside the cult mindset.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 03:30PM

Why don't they just leave those idiots alone? They aren't hurting anyone but themselves and are making money at it.

Just sayin'...

Ron

Date: October 19, 2010 03:30PM

men are often "cheating," "boinking" multiple women anyhow -- mistresses are common in many areas of the world. This way, they are up front and honest about it. I guess they have a point! :-)

Posted by: Rowell backman ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 04:37PM

They can argue that this is selective prosecution and show that the state of Utah has not consistently prosecuted bigamy cases historically. Considering Utah might not want to expose the hypocrisy I'm thinking they will drop it.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 05:58PM

I find Kody to be a vacuous mass.

I do think the entire country needs to legalize polygamy and gay marriage, though. As long as everyone involved is a consenting adult in ANY marriage, even "traditional marriage", I don't see how it is any of my business.

The only people I am worried about in any marriage is the kids, but straight heterosexuals botch that up all the time. As long as we keep our laws against sexual abuse and incest, I really think that what consenting adults decide to do in their own bedrooms/lives is nobody's business but their own.

I would never partake in polygamy because I know I would get too jealous. LOL! But if others want to give it a go, let 'em do it. And legalize gay marriage at the same time. The police and the government need to butt out of consenting adults' love/sex lives.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 06:24PM

As chelsea handler said, this is not a new concept and showing it on tv isn't new either, hugh heffner has been doing it for years!!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:26PM

They probably didn't show the wedding because it wasn't a civil wedding. Usually there is only one legal wife--that's how they avoid the bigamy prosecutions. The other wives have strictly private religious ceremonies ala Big Love in the back yard "by the power of Our Heavenly Father alone" blah, blah.

Successful prosecutions usually center around child abuse. The creation and maintenance of a religion/social system which systematically forces underage children to "marry" older men who rape them is not only illegal, it is diabolically self-serving. So don't even begin to say these women are hurting only themselves. Do you have a 12 year old daughter ExMormon Ron? Picture her little flat-chested self being "given" to a man your age. BLECH! Have a 12 year old boy? Picture him being tossed out of town like a stray dog, unwanted and unloved.

Posted by: libby ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 08:38PM

I find the wives funny and hardworking, but the husband, well, he seems like a real wack job. I don't like him.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.