Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:04PM

It’s a lonely club for those of us that are good men/women that have been devastated by a contradictive belief system because of our personal integrity.

Why would “meddling” relatives, Bishops, SP’s and any other “do-gooders” inside the church give the believing spouse bad marriage advice in this matter?

Because they don’t read.

Because they believe based on emotional response.

Because they trust what is being said over the pulpit or in a private priesthood meeting as “truth” without verification.

This is what the Bible has to say on the matter of marriage to non-believers. It can’t be any clearer.

1 Corinthians 7:12-14.

12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord: If any brother hath a wife that believeth not, and she be pleased to dwell with him, let him not put her away.

13 And the woman which hath an husband that believeth not, and if he be pleased to dwell with her, let her not leave him.

14 For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband: else were your children unclean; but now are they holy.

15 But if the unbelieving depart , let him depart . A brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases: but God hath called us to peace.

16 For what knowest thou , O wife, whether thou shalt save thy husband? or how knowest thou , O man, whether thou shalt save thy wife?

I suppose this ‘old testament’ prophet was just speaking as a man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2010 07:05PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Res Ipsa Loquitur ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:14PM

The New Testament also says women should keep their mouths shut in church, slaves should be content, and that the world was going to end about 2000 years ago. Just sayin.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:26PM

I hear you. The point I was making was that one of the most important things of all 'supposedly' was marriage and that the issue of non-believing spouses was specifically addressed.

The scriptures are picked or ignored, howhever the believer sees fit for the way they feel at the moment.

Thats why I don't think a god is involved whatsoever, because if god cared about what is supposed to be 'most important' then he would reveal such to his prophets.

All we seem to get from modern day prophets is no sleepovers, one earing and such, you know, all the high priority stuff.

Posted by: Res Ipsa Loquitur ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 07:30PM

I see your point. It's all you can expect from any religion, though, because all religions are the product of a specific historical context. Once society changes, the religion will inevitably become an anachronism, and the faithful will have to pick and choose. Otherwise, we'd all be stoning gays and raping our daughters in law. We'd all be Taliban if people didn't pick and choose what they want out of religion.

Posted by: silhouette ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 11:01PM

Thanks Dark. I also made this point to my wife. It's hard for her to make a clear choice when everyone is telling her to leave. I told her that I was no longer going to try and convince her. Why? Because that is not true love. She has been traumatized her whole life and brain washed to love only one thing; the church.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 19, 2010 11:39PM

Notice that in the epistle to the Corinthians Pauls specifically labels this as his advice only, not a revelation from God: "12 But to the rest speak I, not the Lord:..."

In another place the contradictory advice is given: do not be "unequally yoked" with an unbeliever (2 Cor 6:14). Paul does not label this as just his opinion.

Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: October 20, 2010 12:22AM

2Cr 6:14 Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?

Which just proves that the Bible truly is one big book of multiple choices.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.