Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Littlewing ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 12:50AM

So I was look on amazon.com at the books for Kindle. I found the original 1830 BOM avaliable for 99 cents. Was looking on EBAY yesterday and found one for 2,500 (I had no idea they were that expensive, obviously I cannot afford this one). I have read there are a lot of differences in the original printing and the one we have today. My plan was to purchase this and read both at the same time. Any opinions? Has anyone else done this? I mean it wouldn't be considered reading anti mormon literature since this is just an original copy. If you have done this, what are some major differences or contradictions you have found? Thanks in advance for any insight and/or comments.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NoToJoe (unregistered) ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 08:46AM

This work has already been done. If you want the experience of the research then go for it.

If you just want the information or if you would like a study aid that will help you find the most doctrinally significant changes then refer to the work already done by the Tanners at WWW.UTLM.ORG

Of course you can use your copies of the books to check their facts.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 08:57AM

Amazon dot com has them for cheap.
Confettibooks dot com has excellent replicas.
Herald House dot com has replica sets which include 1830 BoM, 1835 D&C, 1833 Book of Commandments, 1835 Hymnal.

Not only are there massive changes, but after you read the 1830 BoM as it was originally printed, when someone says to you "could an uneducated farmboy have written such a thing?"

You can look them straight in the eye and say "why, yes. Yes he could have." 'cuz it is written exactly like an uneducated farmboy from 1828 would write.

Posted by: alan ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 09:13AM

When I was first researching my way out of the church, I did a entire reading of the 1830 BoM vs. the 1982 LDS BoM. I printed out the entire 1830 edition from the internet, punched holes in it, put it in a binder, and wrote in changes and highlighted text that was omitted in the 1982 LDS BoM.

A very enlightening process, and one that was very helpful in my recovery.

For me, I felt this was something I needed to do for myself, even though the work has already been done and is online. Plus, I was able to read through the BoM one last time with a more objective and educated mindset, and this allowed me to put the whole issue of BoM authenticity to bed in my mind.

Posted by: jalden ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 12:08PM

I found a 1920 one once and was shocked at how many differences there were. (even better get a hold of a 1920 D&C). It would be really neat to get a hold of a original, but if your goal is just to prove that there are differences then you don't need to go that far back.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.