Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: downsouth ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 09:30AM

I was on the SLTribune page and ventured to LDS travel. A promo popped up for travel to the Holy Land with Glen's endorsement of a guide. His quote was something to the effect of 'you want someone who can "actually read the hyrogliphics"'

So, Glen Beck does not even support ole' Joe in his translation of the papyrus and Book of Abraham. Has anyone called him out on this?

I just found this hilarious when I heard it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 10:46AM

When gold prices are high, Glenn, it's time to SELL, not buy. Of course, the sellers advertising on your show need buyers, preferably ones who aren't too bright, like many of your viewers. A match made in the celestial kingdom, no?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2010 10:48AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 01:20PM

What people don't understand is Glenn talks with God on a daily basis and God says buy gold and food storage. The way the world is going to hell, excpect good to hit $10,000 an ounce soon. This is what the experts at Goldline are saying.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 01:27PM

Okay, I guess you could use gold directly as money, but only if the survivors accept it as money.

"I'll trade you this brick of gold for some food and water."

"What am I going to do with a gold brick?"

Date: October 21, 2010 01:36PM

Gold melts at a low temperature and can be cast molded. Get a bullet mold and make gold bullets. That way you can shoot people and take their valuable food and emergency supplies away from them if they refuse to trade for your gold.

Date: October 21, 2010 01:42PM

Long-term investing is actually pretty easy. You buy something that will always be in demand and buy it when the prices are down when not only is nobody talking about it but they say you are crazy for buying it. Then when everyone is yakking about it you sell. I started selling my stocks when I heard the guys installing my floor talking about day trading stocks. I knew if those guys were talking about day trading it was time to sell.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 01:11PM

have sex with him until they were married, and wouldn't marry him unless he joined, so he joined and married her so they could have sex. :P

His wife confirmed this story.

Date: October 21, 2010 01:26PM

Glenn is also a drug addict. I've seen this plenty of times with other people. They are addicted to drugs and desperately want to get off of them. They are desperate for a life-style change and new friends and some of these people join the church. Some join for love and some join for a new start at life away from their drug using friends and lifestyle.

These people tend to go full overboard and become big, wacko TBM's as well. I had a cousin who hit the wall because of his drug use, he went back to the church and became a super Mormon. He was so bad he even drove the other TBM's in the family crazy. Nothing is worse that an addict desperate for recovery finding religion as the crutch. They go freaking nuts and I think Glenn falls into this category.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 02:32PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 03:26PM

The pathology underlying the addiction isn't being treated (and the enabling/codependent culture of LDS, Inc. is as entrenched as any with its shame-based/perfectionisic mindset).

Serious recovery requires addressing the essentially immaturity of the addict, the attention-seeking behaviors, the entitlement issues (fat chance Mormonism will ever acknowledge those), etc. while still allowing opportunities for honest growth (Mormonism models dishonesty and willfully ignoring genuine issues, such as one's sexuality). And while I'm a huge supporter of "lifestyle changes" as an element of recovery (one reason I don't holler much about those who return to the collective), the reason for an addicts "distaste" for their usual "haunts" is that it doesn't allow them to delude themselves about their situation (and thereby retain their denial mechanisms).

BTW, Rubicon, don't believe it for a minute addicts "genuinely want to quit their habits." Debunking that one is part of the "power" I possess as a recovering sort; "compliance" is one of their behaviors they use to ingratiate themselves with and manipulate others so they can achieve their usual short term--and "pain-phobic"--goals.

Addicts may want to give up the "bad" elements of their disease, but they fail to conceptualize the "whole package" and seek relief in other forms. Genuine growth requires an honest acknowledgement of one's excesses and recognizing that as sick as they were, they need to be "grieved" nevertheless.

Finally, there are too many "human systems" that "require" the presence of a "bad actor" to perpetuate themselves (codependents are nototious for using others to deflect attention from their failings),

That's a thumbnail analysis, BTW; I spent much of the night writing an e-mail to a national pundit--who's covering Glenn Beck--and separating LDS dogma from authentic 12-Step experiences with a much simpler and individual "spirituality." (difficult, because none of us really possess any "authority," only voices of experience, and the authoritative sorts try to alternately analyze us or shout us down).

Glenn Beck is fruitcake (and an embarassment to the recovering community, but hey, we survived Charles Diederich and Synanon). Beck is no less nutso than W. Cleon Skousen, however, and a culture that would promote and embrace either is equally gonzo.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 21, 2010 03:21PM

I think it's wise to remember that just because someone is doing an advertisement that they are just doing a job to get paid!
Do they believe in the product, use it? Doubt it. Unless, of course, they get some products free.

Date: October 22, 2010 01:15PM

I'm a car collector and my cousin rebuilds expensive engines and makes custom parts. He's done some work for Jay Leno and actually knows him pretty well. I've met Jay two different times. It all reminds me of the whole fiasco NBC started by not letting Jay out of his contract and having him do another show before Conan in The Tonight Show slot.

People crapped all other Jay especially people who hated him because they wanted the Tonight Show and he got it and held it. Jay told my cousin it's all business. It's about money. People thought Conan got screwed but he got 30 million to take a hike. Jay got screwed because they fired him from the Tonight Show when he was still pulling good ratings. The reality is Jay and Conan are employees and NBC sets the strategy and time slots. The host just negotiates a deal. It's a job and the kind of money being offered, damn right you get your old job back if you still can. It simple as that. Everyone was making the whole thing to be more than money, jobs, and deals. It's a business.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.