Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 01:13AM

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50600673-76/attractions-sex-percent-poll.html.csp

In Utah 55% of Mormons think gays can change who they are attracted to, compared with 20% of Utah's non-Mormon population.

Geee, I wonder where all those Mormons get their information from.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 10:42AM

It's so easy for mormons to think what they are told to think.

If the church comes out with a new revelation like with the Blacks, and lets Gays get married in the temple, a few years later a lot of the currently homophobic ones will be bearing their testimonies about how wonderful it is having them get married.

They will believe what they are told to believe.

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 11:17AM

"There is a reason why one man is born black and with other disadvantages, while another is born white with great advantage. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient, more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less.... There were no neutrals in the war in heaven. All took sides either with Christ or with Satan. Every man had his agency there, and men receive rewards here based upon their actions there, just as they will receive rewards hereafter for deeds done in the body. The Negro, evidently, is receiving the reward he merits." -- Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.1, pages 66-67

"How grateful I am that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has from its beginnings stood strongly against racism in any of its malignant manifestations. President Spencer W. Kimball stated the Church's position well: "We do wish that there would be no racial prejudice ... Racial prejudice is of the Devil ... There is no place for it in the Gospel of Jesus Christ" ..." -- Alexander B. Morrison "No More Strangers" September 2000 Ensign

If it doesn't sound familiar, it will in a few years.

Timothy

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2010 01:18PM by Timothy.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 11:38AM

Lots of kids coming these days... Gotta be careful...

Plus some of 'em are so young they don't even remember LDS racism...

Posted by: Timothy ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 01:20PM

Think we got it right!

Tanks, Cabbie!

Timothy

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 03:35PM

"There is a reason why one man is born GAY and with other disadvantages, while another is born STRAIGHT with great advantage. The reason is that we once had an estate before we came here, and were obedient, more or less, to the laws that were given us there. Those who were faithful in all things there received greater blessings here, and those who were not faithful received less.... There were no neutrals in the war in heaven. All took sides either with Christ or with Satan. Every man had his agency there, and men receive rewards here based upon their actions there, just as they will receive rewards hereafter for deeds done in the body. The GAY, evidently, is receiving the reward he merits." -- Joseph Fielding Smith, Doctrines of Salvation, Vol.1, pages 66-67

"How grateful I am that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has from its beginnings stood strongly against HOMOPHOBIA in any of its malignant manifestations. President Spencer W. Kimball stated the Church's position well: "We do wish that there would be no SEXUAL prejudice ... SEXUAL prejudice is of the Devil ... There is no place for it in the Gospel of Jesus Christ" ..." -- Alexander B. Morrison "No More Strangers" September 2000 Ensign

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 11:57AM

I honestly wonder how smart individuals could believe such STUPID, VILE shit???

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 01:10PM

I used to believe that shit, too, I'm sorry to say. I had a therapist tell me once that we need to be careful of our prejudices. I had a HEATED debate with a Catholic friend of mine about 2 years before I met my future husband. I was dead set against gays and I thought they were perverts. My attitudes came back to bite me BIG TIME.

For MANY people it is a matter of loving someone gay. Friend, sibling, spouse, child.

Not so for everyone--but for many people it is.

Posted by: foggy ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 01:25PM

I saw that earlier this morning.

I have to say I was surprised that only 55% of the mormons said it can be changed...

Date: November 05, 2010 01:57PM

It actually gives me some hope to the the Mormons are not as unified as I would have thought.

I also wonder if there is a difference between Mormons in Utah and Mormons elsewhere on this. I am thinking that Mormons in places like California may be even less incline to think that gays can not be changed.

Posted by: steveadams ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 04:38PM

Your hope might be ill-founded. The other 45% of Mormons in Utah don't believe there is any such thing as being gay, only behaving gay; therefore, there is nothing to change except behavior.

Date: November 05, 2010 05:54PM

Posted by: Mormonkey ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 01:52PM

55% means that almost half of the Utah mormons don't agree with Packer. That's awesome. Half of the fold doesn't buy what the number 2 guy is selling.

Take the poll again in 5 years and see where the numbers are at.

I tell ya, the church is changing and not in the way the brethren want it to.

Date: November 05, 2010 01:59PM

But the half that does believe in what BKP said are a formidable force and still making it difficult for gays to get their full rights in Utah.

Posted by: geneticerror ( )
Date: November 05, 2010 05:39PM

I wonder how the numbers appear when they ask 'active' members. I bet it would be much higher.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.