Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: persephene ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 11:28AM

My first awareness of the hypocrisy of the "church" was on Sunday morning.

My mom would be running after 7 kids, cleaning up after breakfast, trying to brush our hair, help us find our shoes, make sure we kept clean and neat until we got into our car.

My dad: take a shower, get dressed, then stand at the door yelling at us to hurry up because we were going to be late.

(The afternoon was about the same. My mom would make lunch and do the dishes while my dad took a nap.)

I couldn't wait to get married in the temple and put in my hardest day of work on Sunday! (sarcasm in case that wasn't obvious)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 12:08PM

Sunday was the WORST day of the week growing up--my dad would go to priesthood and my mom would get us all ready to go to SS. My dad would drive us there (going 5 mph--he was a farmer) and we would always be late. He'd go to the farm and my mother stayed home.

Dinner--oh my . . . it seemed to always be such a production, so much work. Then my mother would yell at my dad for watching football. They ALWAYS argued on Sunday. We didn't know which was better--being caught in the house or outside when they argued, because you were stuck wherever you were once they started arguing. I spent more Sundays waiting at the door to dare go in, stuck in my bedroom, OR going to temple square with my mom. She'd load up all the kids and go to SLC to see her sister (before she moved) and to temple square when she was angry at my dad for not being the perfect mormon.

My daughter (we went inactive when she was about 7) who became TBM 4 years ago asked me once if I'd ever seen the Christus statue . . . and was explaining to me how wonderful it was. I was like, "Every d*mn Sunday for years . . . " I would bet that I have seen that statue more than most people have.

I had a really hard time up until I left the church. Sunday was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO depressing. It was my worst day of the week no matter how I approached it. Now--I don't give it a second thought. My boyfriend went to some ski classes yesterday and was talking about them and I realized how lucky I am that I don't have to SIT IN CLASSES anymore and LISTEN. Last week I realized how lucky I am to not have to READ SCRIPTURES ever again as long as I live.

I worked, went to see the movie Inception last night (mind blowing). I love Sundays now--even if I work every Sunday.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.