Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cyn ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 10:32PM

I attended church yesterday for the first time in a while. Unfortunately, it was testimony meeting. As children, one after another, ran up to say their "testimonies", every single one of them said the exact same thing! "I know the church is true. I know my parents love me. In the name....etc".

It made me sick. Who in the world is putting these mantras in little minds? I mean, I'm glad their parents love them....but the whole thing about knowing the church is true is ludicrous. What does it mean actually: the church being TRUE? I don't see how this "true" thing came up in the first place. How can these children "know" anything about truth and the church? They might trust in their leaders and parents, but "knowledge" is WAY out of their capabilities. Heck sakes, knowledge is way out of MY capability.

I heard six or seven children (no adults) and was so ill that I got up and left. This has disturbed me ever since.

Anybody else have this problem?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mo Larkey ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 10:34PM

heard that yesterday from a 5 year old and almost shouted " Yeah"

Posted by: Cyn ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 10:37PM

YOW-ZA! That would be great--and TRUE!

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 08, 2010 11:23PM

Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 01:25AM

The parade of little kids ascending to the dais and saying the same word, with the same sing-song tone, like a bunch of little Stepford children, is what finally got me to start skipping Sacrament Meeting on the first Sunday of the month. Then I started skipping Dry Council Sunday. Then I only went to sing with the choir. Then finally I decided I really had a lot better things to do at home. Like sleeping in, watching a little TV, eating a leisurely breakfast and reading the paper.

Even after I knew it wasn't "true," I still enjoyed going for quite awhile to take some time to reflect on my life, visit with friends, have a change of pace. But it really wasn't very hard to get used to, and come to prefer, skipping it altogether.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.