Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dit ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 12:24AM

I am a straight woman, why did this show infuriate me so much? I feel for these men who think they can change their same sex orientation over a weekend! I am no counselor and I find it difficult to believe!!!

The poor guy on the show is what....a married Mormon male....go figure. I don't believe same sex attraction is a choice. Do you?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 09, 2010 12:43AM

I feel so sorry for his wife, she has to be dying inside. They asked her, so how's your sex life and she said great. Fabulous.

Oh and they're so excited because she's expecting.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 12:50AM

David Matheson, [from Journey to manhood]: "One of his important works is the 350-page Evergreen Workbook for Men, a practical guide to the change process"

From A Blog called Mormonism Unveiled:
http://mormonism-unveiled.blogspot.com/2010/07/people-can-change-lds-member-rich-wyler.html

"People Can Change: LDS Member Rich Wyler Operates "Gay-To-Straight" Homosexual Reparative Therapy Program Based In Charlottesville, Virginia. Wyler himself not only has had experience with this problem, but was excommunicated from the LDS Church for a short period of time, then returned (the circumstances of his excommunication are not disclosed)."

Date: November 09, 2010 01:08AM

Twinker, hard for me to believe. I think that was the same guy in the Nightline segment.

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 01:15AM

Kind of want to barf after watching that. I want to shake that woman and tell her in 20 years her life will be hell, children or not....

I would not have married my ex if I had known what I know now. How can people be so naive? He had to force himself to enjoy sex with her. I went through the same thing, and while I thought our sex life was good too, I can go back and see things now that i didn't see then.

I hope they update this in 10 years. That poor kid is going to go through hell someday like mine is now.

Posted by: emanon ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 01:37AM

...is just doing what he thinks he should be doing as a mormon, male, priesthood holder..... to deny himself and become what other people think he should be.

Mormons like to wrap people up in a little, one-size-fits-all box and close it with a chastity belt. And as you lay in a ball, your knees touching your forehead, in that dark box they tell you through the air hole in the top that what you are experiencing is happiness.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 02:14AM

There were no degrees or licenses.

Preston says he still is occasionally attracted to men, and his wife says she sees him checking men out--tee-hee. This doesn't sound like he is "cured" at all.

Talk about denial!

Evergreen has maintained this tired--FAILED--theory for years, that all gays need is fatherly "male bonding." Riiiiiight. This hasn't worked yet.

The guy who runs the camp says he is "cured." Hmmmm. Wonder why he enjoys these weekend sleepovers and hug sessions with hot gay guys so much. At the end, some of the guys say they had to get naked.

I couldn't help but pity that poor pregnant wife.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 09, 2010 08:01AM

Wouldn't you think there would be some kind of regulation about someone selling this scam? The APA is on record saying trying to change orientation is futile and possibly harmful - most likely harmful!!

$650 bucks and all the guys are likely to get is a bunch more frustration, confusion, guilt, apprehension, and maybe a few phone numbers.

Date: November 09, 2010 09:59AM

Oh man, I felt so sorry for the both of them. For him, denying his true self and for her because she's going to be a single mother one day, with one or even more kiddos.

I really was pissed after seeing that.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.