Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cindy ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 07:59PM

We are still semi-active in church. Hubby more than me. But we haven't paid a dime in tithing this year. Hubby still believes more than I do, but was happy to forgo paying tithing.

So, what's going to happen in tithing settlement this year? I don't think hubby is ready to quit yet and I'm worried he'll cave. I told him not to go, but you know that they'll call him. I told him that I read somewhere on this site that he can pay a token to church headquarters and then just say he paid in full. Is this true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:03PM

and point out the D&C doctrine that say to pay on your surplus. Go to the meeting with hubby, if he caves, and come armed with what past leaders have said and ask when they've reversed that, and how they expect more than what the canonized doctrine says anyway.

Edited to give a link. http://www.i4m.com/think/intro/mormon-tithing.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 08:07PM by vhainya.

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:05PM

I haven't read in writing that it is possible. However, that's what I have heard. For my own conscience, I would have to pay more than a penny in order to feel good about myself, especially if I derive a substantial benefit from the church. But since I'm not anything but a Sunday Mormon, I don't feel like I owe hardly anything, not that I would even consider paying in the first place.

Posted by: Staring you down ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:13PM

You have several options:

1. Refuse to go to the tithing settlement. Remember you are in
control. They will mark you down as non/ partial tithe payer
which means you are not eligible for a temple recommend.

2. Go to the tithing settlement and just tell them the truth.
Again they will mark you down as non/ partial tithe payer
which means you are not eligible for a temple recommend.

3. You could tell them non/ partial tithe payer over the phone.
I did that once.

4. You could go to the tithing settlement and lie about what you
paid. I personally wouldn't recommend it, because I think
it's important to have integrity.

Posted by: Cindy ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:28PM

Aw, dammit. You just had to pull the personal integrity card, didn't you? =) Fine. The truth it is.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 11:46PM

It's pretty hard to get away with a lie when they have a copy of everything you've contributed.

Posted by: burning bossom ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 08:34PM

Why would you want to go there anyway? The ONLY good part is the food and naked Eve, at least if you're single and a man. If you're neither or even just one of those, then you probably shouldn't go.

Posted by: Misfit ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 11:37PM

I would go just to ask the bishop this question:

What's the difference between a partial tithe and a full tithe?

The church will never come out and say what exactly constitutes a full tithe. So why do they have to ask whether you are a full tithepayer? Answer:to guilt you into paying more than you already have.

And yes, you can pay directly to church headquarters. There is a link on this site and on the New Order Mormon board.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 11:59PM

Send in 10 bucks and say it's a full tithe, since it's all discretionary anyway.

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:06AM

I would tell the Bishop you'll pay tithing when the Church provides a financial statement (like other non-profits) of how your hard earned money is being spent.

I wish I would have done that when I was still a member. Oh well.

Posted by: SaviorSelf ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:34AM

Good estimates place the CoJCoLDS's net worth at $30 billion. No wonder they don't publish financial statements. Very few would pay them a dime in tithing if they understood how obscenely wealthy the Cult is.

You need the money a lot more than the Mormon Cult needs it. Put the money into an IRA. 85% of Americans reach retirement age with inadequate savings. When you retire, if all you have is Social Security (and no personal savings) you will be living below the poverty level. So do yourself a favor and save money for your retirement instead of pouring it down the tithing rat-hole.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.