Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:01AM

Gee I remember doing this for people when I was a TBM. Now I realize how stupid it is. Yeah I know the church is true because you guys make really good cookies. Actually, you know what is funny my cousin texted me and said I should check my front door because there were cookies there. I was not home at the time but when I came home the cookies were gone! So either they did not put them at the right house or the cookies got stolen! It is ok because they were those crappy cookies that the decorate with icing. Now if they had a really good baker that cooked some amazing chocolate chip cookies then I might have been upset. I texted my cousin back and told him I should of gone in-active a long time ago just so I could get cookies. Watch that be the next reason the morg tells people why others leave the church. "Oh he wanted to sin, got offended, or wanted free cookies." haha

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:14AM

I realized once I left how stupid it was to leave cookies on someone's front door with no note. Who the @$%# would eat cookies from an unknown source???????

Posted by: mick ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:20AM

And yes I would eat cookies from an unknown source. What's the worst that could happen? They put GHB (not GBH) in the cookies and I wake up having been taken advantage of by the local YM. I could see how that would be a problem.

Posted by: melissa3839 ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 08:52AM

Depends on your mood, lol. :)

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 07:13PM

Arsenic

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:31AM

Yeah I would probably eat cookies from an unknown source because I kind of love food. I do kind of still know these people so it is not like the are complete strangers.

Posted by: Tiff ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:32AM

You did have a family member let you know they sent them. I'm more talking about the old school love bombing we did as kids where we didn't let the person know who they were from. The person just randomly had cookies or brownies on their porch.

Posted by: quoth the raven never ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 07:25AM

Who would return to the cult for ONE cookie? You would have to be a. ...sheep to be so dumb!

Posted by: seymour ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 02:17AM

I look forward to getting cookies one day!

When I was a teacher, we took an inactive to get ice cream. And no one talked. Kind of awkward. Still, what could convey any more clearly, "We are concerned about your eternal welfare," than ice cream?

Posted by: anon ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 02:45AM

I got my first plate of cookies a few months after going inactive. This was before I was 'mentally' out of the church. I stopped because I was exhausted and certain that church activity did not make me happy.

It really is funny how they can think that a plate of cookies will make things better.

Posted by: European View ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 04:31AM

Cookies! Ha that's nothing. Just last month I was given a gift pack of assorted Green and Blacks chocolate for going inactive. Probably only other Brits will know what a happy gift that was to receive. And I knew who it was from so I didn't worry that it was spiked with cyanide or e.coli.

An joyful bonus, no meetings, no nonsensical doctrine etc etc and lots of delicious chocolate.Should have gone inactive years ago.

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:39AM

You don't have to be a brit to appreciate a gift pack of green and blacks!!!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 07:08AM

They actually believe they can bribe people to go to church by anonymously bringing them cookies, dropping them off at the door, and running away. That is lame!

Who remembers the national news story a few years ago about the Colorado teenage girls who decided to bake cookies for inactives because they might hear sweare word or see drinkers at the school dance that night.

Late that night, they dropped off three frosted sugar cookies on a paper plate to a woman with mental issues at her remote farm house. She had another neighbor who had been threatening her with violence so when these girls beat on her kitchen door, she suffered severe heart palpitations and breathing problems and had to go to the hospital.

Eventually, she found the pathetic plate of cookies and tracked down who had trespassed that night. The girls said they'd pay for her medical costs but refused when they were told the amount. The old farm lady was weather worn and sick and since they girls were young, sweet, and pretty, the media clamored to support their ill conceived cookie caper.

I knew it must be a mormon plot the minute I saw it on TV. Of course the mormon apologists and generalization police on the board said I was mean and vicious to accuse these poor girls of being overly aggressive morgbot harassers. They said that these kinds of things happen all the time in every community.

Nope. They were mormon princeses bent on persecuting a poor long inactive woman in her home when she only wanted to be left alone.

I saw a closeup of the cookie plate they brought, just three little heart shaped frosted sugar cookies for the three people who had asked for no contact. I should think that most hardworking farmers wanting a snack would want more than one skimply little cookie each with their pot of coffee.

Note to mormons: If you want to bribe people to go to church, at least bring a generous bribe. One cookie? Sheesh!

Posted by: Anon again ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 08:30AM

"I would NEVER accept a bribe... Besides, it was way too small."

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 08:41AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 08:41AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 09:07AM

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 10:45AM

What's with the not leaving a note on the cookies? Are they just not planning ahead and considering that the person might not be home?

This happened to me last year a couple weeks before Christmas. I said something on facebook about receiving free cookies from Jesus, and a friend from my apartment building replied that they were from the ward. So they really were from Jesus. :)

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:37PM

If they were from the morg Jesus had nothing to do eith it.

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:26PM

Think of it as your reward for choosing the right...you know, leaving the church. lol

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 12:50PM

I just got a stupid letter every month from my VT who would ramble on about her TBM family and her TBM daughter's family, Heavenly Father, then attach TBM recipes, crafts ideas, or Ensign articles.

I'll probably still get them even though I'm resigned.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2010 12:52PM by vhainya.

Posted by: luckychucky ( )
Date: November 16, 2010 01:04PM

Man y'all have some chinsey ward members.

Last year after DW and I moved into our new and final ward it took about 4 mos to figure out that we were semi-inactive. Fro x-mas they actualy delivered a good sized fruit basket and a $100 gift card to wally world. Cookies/muffins always had a note and usually were of good quality and quantities of 1/2 a dozen or so.

The bribes still fell short. Were resigned now. But it was nice while it lasted.

Posted by: happycat ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 10:08PM

Come on people make Rice Crispy Squares!!! Cookies are just so yiiiiiiii

Posted by: Jenny ( )
Date: November 17, 2010 10:20PM

It was a mom who was something-or-other in Primary and she came to our door with her daughter to invite DD to some Saturday activity. We were totally not interested in the activity but I happily took the REALLY GOOD cookies and told them that we had resigned and they must have just not gotten the message yet.

"But THANKS for the cookies. Bye, y'all!" :D

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 12:59AM

LOL That whole story struck me as really funny!

Posted by: Doxi ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 01:22AM

I'd think the cookies were poisoned with something that can't be detected by toxicology and the woman who sent them wanted to get rid of me so she could have my husband.

Posted by: A Lurker (waffling on re-signing up) ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 05:10PM

Aw man, inactive cookies are great. I'd get cookies, come to church the following week, then stay home. I got cookies at least three times that way.
I told that story to my never-mo best friend and she about killed herself laughing over it. She asked me why, and I said, "Well, I wanted cookies."
More laughing.

Posted by: Charley ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 07:06PM

Damn I never got cookies. Last year some guy, my home teacher I think, brought me a can of flour. I guess I'm supposed to bake my own damn cookies.

I remember back in the day when they used to bring fudge.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:56PM

I still get cookies now and then, but they always stay at the door and hand them to me so I know who made them. The best thing was when my "HT" brought a plate of Christmas goodies--homemade chocolates, etc. I'm pretty important?!? He was the bishop, SP, and is mayor of the town I live in . . . I get a kick out of that one. BUT, yep, I still get cookies, but nobody tries to be secretive HERE at least.

I have to admit that I live in a pretty good ward (not an affluent area--nothing like most mormon wards I've lived in)--there are only a few of them who bug me (like the previous bishop). Everyone else is very friendly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 08:57PM by cl2.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.