Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 08:49AM

There's a fine line between a single man committing mass "fornication" and a polygamist, or a married man having affairs on the side or one practicing polygamy.

How can the state decide whether you're just good at affairs or actually practicing polygamy? Is it that you have religious affiliation with a group that believes in it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 08:50AM by Jesus Smith.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 10:49AM

In the case of what's-his-name Green, if you go on TV and talk about it you get prosecuted.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 05:02PM

wasn't that long ago. Seems it got some attention with Warren Jeffs, but I think once the hoopla is over, the fundy's will return to business as usual.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 05:05PM

about living together as man and wife. Some might rely on proving the women are common law wives, but that is harder than you'd think.

I don't know about Utah's.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:13AM

It never seemed so. They always wait for the feds or another state to pick up their slack.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:24AM

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:28AM

A married couple divorced. The woman married a polygamist and took her child to live with the new husband. At some point she died but had specifically written in her will that the polygamous husband would have custody of her child. (Wish I knew more details about how she was able to put that in her will.)

The bio father sued to get custody. The judge ruled for the polygamous father to have "permanent" custody but the natural father had "temporary" custody. The judge knew his decision would be appealed and he was pushing the higher court to confront the polygamy issue. However, it allowed the natural father to take the boy away and the permanant custody could only be forced if a higher court tackled the polygamy issue. So the man was able to keep his son with him.

It's been a couple of years since I was told this story by a relative of the judge so I hope I have stated it accurately.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:36AM

It seems that Utah will only get involved if, like Tom Green, the polygamist goes public and embarasses TSCC. Otherwise they leave it alone and hope it will just go away.

However, Carolyn Jessop in her book "Escape" did mention that the state attorney general at the time (can't think of his name) was helpful to her when she left the fundies which surprised me.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:02AM

He's impressed some people in the past, but my view is he's morphed into a wuss on the matter these days...

He's a politician, period, and my family's attorney who passed away recently characterized the AG's office as "a dumping ground for bad attorneys."

Utah could do far more to end the problem, but they don't want to confront their own skeletons or draw any more attention to the subject than already occurs regularly...

Posted by: resipsaloquitur ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 12:04PM

“A person is guilty of bigamy when, knowing he has a husband
or wife, the person purports to marry another person or cohabits with another person.” Utah Code
Ann. § 76-7-101(1) (2003).

It's not just adultery. It's knowing that you are already married to one person, and then living with another person in a sexual relationship. The legal status of the marriage to the second person is irrelevant. In fact, because a bigamous marriage is void ab initio, it's not legally POSSIBLE to be married to two people at the same time. Hence the focus in the statute on, not being MARRIED to a second person, but simply COHABITING with them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.