Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: poster ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 07:06AM

If his wife died tormorrow,would he soon start to lose his health like Hinckley?Monson is probably considerably healthy for a person of his age to be leading a church.

I wonder if a dispute between the other Mormon leaders could erupt about who should be the new church prophet.If Packer insisted he should lead,would that cause resentment among the others?Do the church leaders ever quarrrel about who should take the reigns when the curent leader finishishes his prophethood?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Boilermaker ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 07:45AM

There will be no quarrel. Packer is the senior member of the Twelve. He will be the next President if he outlives Monson. That's just how it works. The only way I can imagine any controversy would be if Packer was in a coma and couldn't get out of bed to get to conference to be sustained.

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 08:16AM

Even if Packer were in a coma, they would sustain him. Marion G. Romeny was damn near comatose and blind when he was in the FP, and was the Pres Q12. He was next in line and there was discussion of whether or not to sustain him if he became Pres. As it turned out, he died first.

McKay was comotose for at least two years prior to his death. He had multiple additional counselors (four instead of the normal two), including Joseph Fielding Smith, who was also Pres Q12.

Benson was comotose (as his grandson can attest) for quite some time. Hinckley claimed they took matters to him in his apartment for discussion. Gee, let me get this straight - They talk to a comotose, barely living, near corpse, and if it does not rise up and tell them NOT to do something, then they take this for a sign, God's confirmation, and go ahead and do it??

What kind of insanity is that?

So, even if Packer is in a coma, he will be sustained, and every Fast Sunday, the sheep will get up and bear testimony that Packer is a prophet.

On the other hand, if Packer is in a coma, he can do less damage, say fewer stupid things, and generally, do a better job than he is doing today.

Go, Packer!!!

Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 08:21AM

When Monson dies and they shoe in either Packer or one of the others, how do they then go about choosing the next Apostle to make the numbers back up to 15?

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:01AM

Jon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When Monson dies and they shoe in either Packer or
> one of the others, how do they then go about
> choosing the next Apostle to make the numbers back
> up to 15?

They ask likely candidates to tender five years worth of personal financial statements and tax returns and ferret it out from there.

Ron

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:02AM

The selection of the next contestant (oops!), Q12 member is a function made up primarily of who is the biggest suck up/brown noser and who can be trusted. Therefore, typically, they draw from the existing pool of 70s, especially Pres 70s. On the other hand, Oaks had never been a GA, Stake President or Bishop. In fact, he had never held any senior leadership position.

Also, it is much a factor of who you know and who knows you. They do not go outside the family too often. So, former mission companions, relatives, busines associates, friends, etc. Hence, the new guys looks pretty much like the old guys.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:04AM

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:13AM

...he's kind of lax in dealing with it. So his days might not be that long. He's 83. If there were a dead pool on him, I'd pick, oh, 2015.

Posted by: kookoo4kokaubeam ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:51AM

I know its the dream of alot of people here to see a Packer presidency, but unless Monson drops dead from a heart attack he looks alot healthier than Packer does.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 12:34PM

isn't L Tom Perry next in line as the most senior member of the quorum of 12.
Isn't this the order of seniority here?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Quorum_of_the_Twelve_Apostles_(LDS_Church)

Of course, it makes no difference to me as I am not a believer, or member.

Posted by: Rebecca ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 02:38PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.