Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: November 18, 2010 11:10PM

This is from today's SLTribune's article covering Wanda Barzee's testimony at Brian David Mitchell's trial today. She described her first year of marriage to Mitchell as "pure hell," and said they fought a lot. After describing his controlling behavior and their conflict, the article says this:

"But Barzee said her Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints bishop gave her a blessing and told her “Satan was going to do everything in his power to stop us. And the Lord would give me patience to work with Brian and work out our problems.”

"Barzee said that, throughout the years, things got somewhat better, but the couple again sought help from their bishop in 1992. The bishop told them about “horses working together, that they have to work together in order to get along, and that seemed to click something in Brian. We were fighting less, and I learned to be submissive and obedient.”

I wonder how those two bishops are feeling about the advice they gave Barzee now?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 02:25AM

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 05:32AM

and for Gods sake, pay your tithing.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 06:26AM

Ah, Mormon Bishops. They just... are, aren't they?

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 08:10AM

of this cult. Cult members are conditioned into believing that a man - "the Bishop" - holds power of discernment for their life, and they turn the decision making for critical events in their life over to him. Whatever he says, well its as if God himself were speaking. Ergo all individual critical thinking is placed aside, empowerment is given to the Bishop, and they truly become as a little child, allowing their daddy run their lives. Very strange but a true phenomen. Gotta hand it to the cult originators - if you can control the underwear that people wear, convince them that they must follow every word of the Bishop, and fear them into paying tithing (10-20%) else they be burned - well you own them. That's what we're seeing with Barzee. As a woman, in some ways she was a victim.

When my ex had an affair, a bishop gave me a blessing wherein I was told that I had two options: 1) Either divorce her, move to Idaho, and leave my children alone with them mother. Problem is that I have a good job, didn't know anyone in Idaho, and I love my children. I live in the Mid-West or 2) stay with her and deal with it. It was then that I began thinking for myself. I knew he was full of shiz.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:02AM

Posted by: Steven ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 09:48AM

I knew then and their that he was full of it. Where he came up with that, I have no idea, except that he may have been trying to manipulate me.

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 10:41AM

Are you sure he wasn't having an affair with your wife?

Posted by: * ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 07:59PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.