Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:14AM

And....What are some of the horrible things that were promised that didn't happen?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: smeagol ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 11:21AM

This is strange but I have two opposing conditions:

My life is a whirlwind of craziness with family being worried and not knowing exactly how to navigate my new life.

and

Peace of mind more than when I was TBM.

They are both happening. I feel genuinely happier but life is crazier and at times more stressful because of what goes along with leaving the church without a manual.

Posted by: unworthy ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 12:50PM

I got out many years ago and was away from family and the small mormon only town I was raised in. So I didn't have the pressure and guilt trip to contend with at the time. Over the years when TBM's I worked with found out I had got out of"THE CHURCH",,I was told how wrong and evil I was. Kind of enjoy jerking their chain now. If they ask if I am a "member" now,,I answer No I like to choose my own underware.

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 01:00PM

I'm still attending for a variety of reasons, but here goes.

I've got the best DW on the planet. I told her I wouldn't be attending the temple anymore because its all about polygamy. I didn't want to share her with anyone. She said OK followed by an outpouring of love and affection.

No more guilt about not doing enough at church. Those guys have no mystical powers over me. If someone asks me to do something, I can say No.

I finally feel free to think about issues (prop8, etc) the way I want to think, not the way someone tells me to think.

Instead of being intimidated by the prospect of a meeting with the BP or SP, I am now sure of my position and can go into that meeting with a feeling of strength.

I'm talking pretty tough here, but IRL my conversations with BP and/or SP are reasoned, measured and non-confrontational. I may not like the situation, but it does no good to be combative. Might not work for everyone, but it works for me.

As smeagol noted, it is peace of mind.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 01:17PM

I can read and think what I want.

My self-worth depends on how well I'm meeting my OWN expectations, not some invisible God or the bishop's, or the neighbors.

I can spend my time how I choose.

I don't feel guilty about things that don't matter.

I'm keeping 10% of my income that used to go to I-don't-know-what church expense.

I choose my own underwear (!!!! do you realize how bat-shit crazy that sounds!!!!! I used to wear regulation underwear!)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: November 19, 2010 03:11PM

What is better?
It's my life, I'm in charge.

Owning my own power. And being very careful about who I give my power to.

I choose what I eat, drink, wear, read, study, research, and how I spend/use my time and money, etc.

Living in a state of freedom and peace of mind.

A total disconnect from the code to the emotional attachment/bond to the religious beliefs that used to govern my life.

Creating my own World View.

No fear of recriminations from ecclesiastical leaders, LDS family, or LDS friends.

No concern for living a certain way for a reward in an after life.

An understanding that everything in life is temporary.

No concern about what others think of me. I'm OK to be me.

Posted by: Tip Topper ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 03:09PM

Posted by: Nebularry ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 05:44PM

I'm free to live my life however I want. No strings attached - well, at least not by the Morg!

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 07:05PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.