Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 02:48PM

Frank Wilczek (M.I.T.) won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 2004. He wrote "Lightness of Being: Mass, Ether, and the Unification of Forces".

RfM entertains some scientists and many who are interested in Science. Would anyone care to comment on Wilczek his book his Nobel and his place in the world of Physics? I'd love to read it.

I find him fascinating in this bloggingheads.tv conversation with Robert Wright:

http://bloggingheads.tv/diavlogs/30297

In it he briefly outlines how Light and Matter are not separate things but are an amalgam of each other.

"We've found that we can get a much nicer description of the world by postulating that we live in a medium [the way fish live in a medium] that changes the way Matter behaves, in particular, slows down how lots of particles behave, that changes them from particles that move at the speed of light to particles that --since they are dragging along pieces of this medium--move slower, so they look like they have Mass. There's a medium that fills the Universe that changes the properties of things, just as fish in water have their world change by being in the water.

It's very much like an Ether."

Anyway, interesting stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 02:54PM

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 05:02PM

I am still trying to measure the speed of dark.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 07:58PM

This ether is what yogis merge into. We experience forms and material objects as light constructs, as "condensed light". We experience reality as a projected hologram.

Posted by: Mary ( )
Date: November 20, 2010 11:53PM

So this invisible medium that we live in, changes the way matter behaves by slowing down particles? I think we should name it Air.

Posted by: Emma's Flaming Sword ( )
Date: November 21, 2010 12:09AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.