Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anony-for-this ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 06:15AM

I was never the average kid. I was a bit 'too clever', a bit 'too overweight', and - due to being bought up in an Anglican family - a bit 'too christian'. I was bullied mentally everyday, and sometimes physically too.

fast forward to age 18. My small circle of school friends had gone their seperate ways, and I was in technical college, doing well, but still pretty much apart from my peers

One day, alone at home, two missionaries came knocking at my door and started talking about religion, showing me different interpretations for passages in the bible and - of course - talking about joseph smith and the first vision. I was intrigued and they were friendly and seemed truly interested in me as a person. I was happy when they offered to kindly let me accompany them to a church service, the next sunday.

The service itself was boring, but the classes afterwards were interesting enough and - best of all - there was a lively social scene for young people, with friendly, welcoming people.

I was a 'golden convert' and was baptised after about 4 weeks. In this time I had already attended 3 or 4 social events and already made a few "friends". After the Baptism, I never saw 'my' missionaries again, apart from passing them in the church corridor. I had served my purpose for them - they had ticked their box - and I was no more of interest.

I now realise that my youth was basically a lonely affair. I didn't make friends easily due to my experience of bullying and here I was with a ready made, welcoming, friendly group of people. To be honest, I was content with my own church - a liberal, inclusive church - which was also my family's faith, and I would have probably left the Mormon church soon after baptism, except for the ready made social scene.

Mormon missionaries exploit weaknesses in people's lives. During my own time as a member I was told that the best times to get someone else into TSCC are at 'crisis points' in their lives - births, deaths, new house, new job, etc - as these are when people are more likely to think about religion and eternal goals.

is it cynical? - maybe
does it work? - I have to say, from my own experience, yes, it does, very well.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 06:49AM

It's an interesting take and thanks for sharing your conversion story.

Yes i think it's true that Missionaries seek to take advantage of people being at a crisis point. Wouldn't Mormonism be more believable if they converted people who didnt have a need?

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 10:07AM

Posted by: Amos ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 07:48AM

"broken heart and a contrite spirit"
things that used to be called good often are found to be bad. Example: once-upon-a-time we bled people to reduce a fever. A few pints and, voilĂ , the feverish sick person is rendered cool and pale...well nowadays that's called shock, and they get a blood transfusion!
I think it's the same with the psychlogical states that religion exploits. Mishies tend, on average, to hook "humble" people. That ends up being vulnerable people. And what's the answer to spiritual sickness? Bleed you. Take up your cross and head to Calvarys Hill to be crucified with Jesus.
Mormon converts, on average, occur in onesies. Young, insecure, seeing the church as an answer, not a question.
But the church isn't at all honest. They can't be. The truth is too much.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 11:23AM

Cults exploit damaged,hurting people and sadly, Mormons are especially adept at emotional manipulation.

It's a vicious and deliberate pattern. The Mormon version of Rapo.

When seemingly successful Mormons love-bomb their targets by telling them they're sent from God and recognize their true value - Who wouldn't respond well to such friendship and recognition?

Of course, once the victim is baptized, the instant friends move on and the bewildered convert is expected to "serve".

It's a despicable exploitation.

Posted by: mav ( )
Date: March 04, 2011 11:30AM

to snag you. One of the reasons I left was I never forgot the bullying growing up in tscc. I always thought 'church' should be kind of a refuge from the meaness of the world. Silly me.

IMHO, after they snag converts, the convert can never earn the status they seek with mormon royalty. Definite pecking order.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2011 11:41AM by mav.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.