Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Littlewing ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 01:32PM

Well a few weeks ago I was talking to my mom and told her my husband and I are thinking about trying for a baby this summer. She told me that it would break her heart because I do not attend church and my husband is a nm..and we need to be sealed in the temple before we have a child. After reading countless posts about the temple ceremonies, I really don't have a desire to get sealed in the temple. A new name...a green apron....a baker's cap for my hubby (hubby decided it definatley wasn't for him when I explained what Kolob is..he about peed his pants laughing)? Come on people ...that's just nuts. And my sister asked me "aren't you worried about your salvation?" Let me say this about myself, I think I am good person, my house is clean, I try to be nice to everyone, I don't drink (not even caffiene), I don't smoke, I believe in God and Jesus Christ, etc. That just offended me sooo much. She (my sister) is getting married in two weeks to someone not of our race (growing up , our parents told us to marry within our race...we are from a small town in the south...so he is kinda out of place amongst the local farmers/rednecks). But, now it's ok with my parents because he is rm, tbm, blah blah blah. Neither one have any kind of education ...they are both planning on going back to school this spring fulltime, while he works part time. About 3 years ago ( I was 19) I was dating a tbm ...it had been around a month (maybe 6 weeks ...tops) and my mom would keep asking me "is he the one? are you guys gonna get married soon? do we need to start planning a wedding?" ...At this time I was working part time as a nurses aide (not making a lot of money either and busting my butt..nothing wrong with this job..just sayin') and had decided to be a nurse. Any other mother would have told me to finish my education first , so I would always have a way to support myself. Something my grandpa always told me has stuck in my head "find a way to support yourself or you'll break your back trying to "catch up" the rest of your life. ....Thanks to those who read this...just a rant. Now I feel better. :)
-Littlewing

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 01:37PM

I'd say finish your education first, then IF something were to happen to DH then you will be able to support your family. Better to leave the morg now before you get more deeply involved with it.

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 01:40PM

Good grief. Her world view is so screwy. I would have told her than she wouldn't need to be part of her grandchilds life. Wouldn't want her heart to break every time she saw him/her. UGH! It just amazes me some of the crap TBM parents say to their kids.

Posted by: Littlewing ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 01:44PM

Thank goodness I finished school and have a decent job! I know my mom...I know she will never give up about my future kids and church. Not so sure I want mykids to be apart of the mormon church....

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 02:14PM

Glad your grandpa's advice stuck with you. I gave the same advice to my daughter who converted and quit college and then married a Mormon- not in that order. The conversion was 3 yrs. after her marriage. I still think she didn't really want to but the pressure from his side for reasons like your MOM gave was great....well...everyone here knows about that. I was devistated and still am.

Smart people finish their education while young and like others have said you can always take care of yourself then in the profession of your choosing. I hope you will not feel any pressure from your parents now. Have that baby on your own time frame and Mom will just have to get used to the idea that mormons are not the only people who go to heaven. She needs to be put in her place now. You are a grown adult. Loving a child is the most rewarding thing any person can do in this life. Your mom may have loved you for a long time, but right now, she is NOT.

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 03:13PM

You probably love your mom, most of us do. But with that load of crap she said to you, I would set the boundaries immediately. It is not bad enough she says that, but it tells me that she will most likely go and do her own thing behind your back. NEVER allow your mom or anyone else to put you or your hubby down in front of your own children because you are not a mormom. NEVER.

By her comment, this will most likely happen unless you are firm right off the bat.

Good luck planning a baby, and do it your way, when you are ready. Your grandpa gave you advice worth it's weight in gold.

You can always send your mom a 'my sympathies card' when you do conceive. She may get the hint.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 05:16PM

Your mother is incredibly manipulative, trying to guilt you back into Mormonism any which way she can.

Other churches do not even regard Mormons as Christians, she has some nerve pulling such nonsense on you.

Emphasis on the temple is a holdover from Joseph Smith's involvement in masonry, it has nothing whatsoever to do with "salvation".

Posted by: They don't want me back ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:49PM

To mom that you “Mom, I don’t believe in all the nonsense taught by the Mormon Church” and "no, we won't be participating in cult indoctrination programs of any sort” and “I would appreciate it if you didn’t nag me about it” and “I’m not going to start going just to appease you.”

And Mom, please understand that I don’t believe in the claims of the Mormon Church having a living prophet or priesthood authority, really Mom have any of these so-called prophets “Prophesied’ anything of value other than, we think marriage is between a man and a women (which 100 other Christian Churches are fighting for), we love gays but think they can be changed into straight people (and I haven’t heard of any prophets laying on of hands and healing them straight) and only pierce your ears with one piercing.

I mean they didn’t warn people about Hurricane Katrina and specifically predict the floods that followed, didn’t prophecy about the Tsunami in India or any other catastrophic event of biblical proportions in the last 100 years that would lend a shred of creditably to the claims of prophetic ability one would expect from God’s anointed. Haven’t seen them cause limbs to grow back, heal incurable cancer patients or cause a blind person to see.

If they are going to make outrageous claims to have seen God, having Priesthood Authority and Power, then damn it I want to see real results OK>

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 12:58AM

You say you are not sure about whether you want your kids to be part of the church.

Why on Earth would you send them to a church that will tell them their parents are sinners? You don't really want to get them brainwashed to where they listen to religious leaders and your mother instead of you, do you?

I'm a little baffled by people who consider inflicting this fraudulent organization on unsuspecting kids.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.