Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Jon ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 09:23AM

Faced with a group of about fifty young men aged 12 - 17 the Mission President stated that he had been set apart by an Apostle of the Lord to be able to promise them that if they serve an honourable mission:
1. They will marry a better quality woman and
2. They will have improved children

I wonder how many of the youth leaders who were present hadn't gone on a mission went home and told their wives that they could have got a better woman and had better kids...

I wonder how many of the kids were from dads who hadn't served a mission. Imagine them going home and saying 'Dad, you could have done better than me if you had gone on a mission'

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 09:47AM

If your a member you have to rely on the lard for a better quality wife

if you're not a member you get to try them out first.... and you have the option of 'trading up', later

(jk: please dont flame me :-)

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 01:33PM

I really don't know what to say to that logic.

Posted by: topojoejoe ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 02:32PM

and improved children? Improved children? Really?
How does that make a man feel? How does that make a woman feel? It is the old 'I am an 8 cow woman' again? I must be a better quality woman because I married a RM? My children are an improved version of your children?
How does that make children feel?
That is not a particle of that whole sentence that is aimed at spiritually lifting anyone, it merely glorifies the giver, but none who receive it.
Do these people actually ever stop to think about what they are saying?
This guy just won my BS speech of the year award.

Posted by: loveskids ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 10:26PM

That's 2 of us that give him the BS award of the year. So this guy is saying if you serve a mission your children will be "better quality' Does that mean no physical or mental problems? That ever child born to an RM will be born 100%healthy.And smarter? Better looking? The man is an ass.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 03:12PM

and this is why Utah is the rape capital of the country. When the "quality" women don't return his affection, or treat him with disdain, the self-aggrandizing narcissistic cult member may use violence to reassert his dominion. You see the same thing in Islaam.

My exhusband, who lives in Orem and is active, said this to my 10-year old: "I don't love you anymore. I wish you well. I need a new wife and new children."

He still thinks he was just being honest. So can I throw this in as a candidate even though his bs speech was more than a year ago?

Anagrammy

PS She wrote a song about this called "Dad" and when he came to see her in San Francisco, he walked out in the middle of her performance while she sang about him and his cruel, heartbreaking statements to her as a little girl. Now she says he is "mentally ill" due to Mormonism (!) because no one who is sane would say that to a child.

Posted by: jbryan ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 06:13PM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> My exhusband, who lives in Orem and is active,
> said this to my 10-year old: "I don't love you
> anymore. I wish you well. I need a new wife and
> new children."
>
> He still thinks he was just being honest. So can I
> throw this in as a candidate even though his bs
> speech was more than a year ago?
>
> Anagrammy
>
> PS She wrote a song about this called "Dad" and
> when he came to see her in San Francisco, he
> walked out in the middle of her performance while
> she sang about him and his cruel, heartbreaking
> statements to her as a little girl. Now she says
> he is "mentally ill" due to Mormonism (!) because
> no one who is sane would say that to a child.

I have 3 daughters and would rather jump off a building than to say this to any of them!

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:22AM

anagrammy Wrote:
> new children."

what did your daughter say?
sorry, but what a fcuking a$$hole!

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 03:42AM

anagrammy Wrote:
> new children."

what did your daughter say?
sorry, but what a fcuking a$$hole!

Yes, Nick, and there are worse things he did. But my daughter grew up to become a singer/songwriter with a fanclub here in California in the Bay Area (www.bethwaters.com). When she won a musical award as most promising new female singer a few years back, he wanted to hear her perform. So did I, so he told her she would have to choose (knowing how badly she wanted a relationship with him and how much his rejection had hurt her). She later told me she said to him, "you are asking me to choose between you and Mom when she raised me and you told me you didn't love me? Are you kidding me?" He was so pissed she made the "wrong" choice he didn't speak to her for a few more years.

Here's where the story gets even better (I'm smiling). He did get a new family and now his son is 19 and refusing to go on a mission. Some years ago Beth was invited to lunch with her dad and one of these "new" children and had the opportunity to explain to these teenagers why she wasn't a Mormon. A few weeks ago, the boy called Beth and told her that she started him thinking about whether the church was maybe NOT true and that he was not buying (as he put it) the whole enchilada.

You see, the thing he didn't love about the ten year old is that she had absorbed my values (and even looks like me).

So...karma, sweet karma. Beth wrote a song about how she's trying to forgive him, but I never will and if that shuts me out of the CK, I'll raise a glass with the rest of you and that hot Satan from the temple movie. I want to be in his power, oh yes....

Anagrammy

Posted by: chloe ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 06:36PM

This from our last bishop :

" Raising children is like baking cookies. You throw the first batch away."

I kid you not.

Posted by: luminouswatcher ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 11:00PM

That philosophy worked for the mormon god.

Posted by: mireille ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 10:35AM

Obviously this bishop doesn't do any cooking around his house. I don't have kids, but I know that ingredients for good cookies are not cheap.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 11:28PM

I wonder what all these promises do to what we supposedly won in the war in heaven? Free Agency. So this guy was given authority to make promises that even God himself can't keep because of the war. We supposedly won that war and if we did and it was real then these “promises” are but bribes. These bribes become payable upon services rendered which said mission president has no intention of keeping.

This is such BS. I see it clearly now that I'm out.

Bribes were part of Satan's plan..

Oh and here we go again with women being a "righteous commodity".
Funny how women were not in attendance.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 11:34PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: stationarytraveler ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 11:32PM

that these clowns that call themselves SP's, bishops, apostles or whatever, are for the most part lacking in intelligence, hence their position in the Corporation. I too have heard some strange things coming out of the mouths of saints that made me wonder if I was on the right planet.

Anagrammy, I sincerely hope your daughter will recover from the heartbreak. He wasn't worthy, so to speak, to be her dad in the first place. I also hope that things are going better for you also.

What a sad thing mind control is.

ST

Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 11:36PM

The guy is not only deluded, but a deluded idiot!

It's one thing to believe in an invisible yet powerful friend in the sky, it's another to add layers of stupidity to his delusion.

Did he even take one cursory look at all the RMs and their wives and children before making that statement? I can send him a couple anecdotal tales of abandonment, wife beating, child abuse, divorce, mentally and physically handicapped children, rebellious children, childlessness (infertility), families falling away, and teen pregnancies of RM families. Sometimes the couple are RMs, And that's just in two stakes I've attended in the past.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2010 11:37PM by charles, buddhist punk.

Posted by: Primus ( )
Date: November 25, 2010 11:50PM

A better quality woman is one who tastes better when cooked on the barbecue rather than a regular woman. Kind of like Angus Beef at a fast food place vs your normal beef.

Posted by: k ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:10AM

When they "raised the bar" for new missionaries, I thought about what current and past missionaries thought about the whole thing. Did they slip through the system while this new "army" of spiritual warriors had something more than they had?

The comment by the mission president is nothing more than a fear tactic meant to control someone else. In fact, serving a mission (or not) is a rite of passage in Mormon culture that brands you. I was told often that no honest LDS girl would want to marry someone who did not serve a mission. Over and over again through the youth program you hear this drivel.

LDS leaders use fear as a primary tool for motivation. What makes it worse is that it's laced with a degree of compassion and empathy that's often hard to detect for well meaning, wide-eyed, and optimistic young people. It's classic bait and switch...

Posted by: Nick Humphrey ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:29AM

k Wrote:
> It's classic bait and switch...

"
In the United States, courts have held that the purveyor using a bait-and-switch operation may be subject to a lawsuit by customers for false advertising,
"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bait-and-switch

i propose we take this literally and sue the corporation of the president of the church of jesus christ of latter-day saints. who is with me? do we have any lawyers who would do this pro-bono?

we make a case, gather a list of names of people who want their tithing money back, then go get it back.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/26/2010 07:30AM by Nick Humphrey.

Posted by: Veritas ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 07:32AM

Hopefully an "honorable mission" will yield a better quality mission president than the riffraff I constantly read about in leadership positions.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: November 26, 2010 02:36PM

And improved role models.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:25AM

What does a wife of better quality do? What is a bad quality one?

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:27AM

I think they should just take us wives and give us lobotomies. That would make us of very good quality indeed.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 02:25AM

She'll be white with blonde hair and blue eyes. Better quality children means white with blonde hair and blue eyes.

God hates impurities. It's in the BOM.

Posted by: Jake ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 12:55PM

That's horrible . . . but so true. Keep in mind the same pressures placed on young men to serve a mission is put on young women to marry return missionaries. It doesn't matter if the dating pool is very small, the expectation and pressure is still there.

Missionaries often talk about "wife points" when dealing with any adversity they face on the mission. Effectively, they completely buy into the things this mission president talked about.

Posted by: Lillium ( )
Date: November 27, 2010 01:22PM

Typical manipulation technique. Both my brother and a boss I used to work for, each raised in wards in different states, told me that the kids they had after they were sealed in the temple were "more special" that the one they had when they first married. My boss went into great detail on the differences in his before and after kids. He definitely believed it.

Whatever it is TSCC wants the rank and file to do, they will make up whatever "blessing" they think will motivate the rank and file to fall in line.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.