Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: grassboy ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 11:59AM

I'm sure this has been said many times. But I walked into an institute building the other day to see an acquaintance studying a Bio book in a section about DNA. I commented on how amazing that stuff is and of course, she being a TBM, jumped right to a mormon link. She says, "Yeah it is so amazing, I was talking to a friend about it and we both concluded how stupid a person is to think that this could come about from evolution, it's amazing how foolish people are and easily led by the evil sway of science." (Scary to think this chick is going to be in medicine).

Anyways, so what she said I can agree with if one believes in a supreme unlimited God who is infinite in power and existence. Problem here is she's a mormon, and so she believes GOD WAS ONCE A MAN. So if you think evolution is a ridiculous concept, yet God had to come from some vagina on some planet, then what created that? And the infinite regress comes into play. If God came from mortality, then that's the denial of an overall creator meaning, like evolution, it had to start somewhere from simple beginnings. It's such backwards logic to say that any complex thing has to be created by something more complex then all of a sudden jump down and say the most complex being started off as a simple one.

One other thing, if we are reliant on God to become Gods, then he was reliant on another God. So how did the first God rise to godhood without another God? (yeah yeah, throw in concept of incomprehensible infinite loop that as a human I can't understant). Perhaps some of us can become Gods without God? Then maybe we can throw a real twist on it, and say all of us would naturally become Gods, but God want's to rule and demands control over a kingdom, so in a way he is evil and in fact stopping people from becoming Gods (Like slavery) so that he can be selective over his control. Crazy eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2010 02:04PM by grassboy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 01:37PM

We are told that we are made in the likeness of god... and 'prophets' who are supposed to have seen god (JS, as well as the bible), describe him as having Human features.

so, since we know that Humans show many, many obvious signs of evolution, junk DNA, vestigial organs/structures, etc..... then we must assume that the Judeo-christian god - as well as the mormon god - is a product of evolution.

By this logic "as man is now, so god once was", is just as true for anyone who believes in Jehovah/Elohim as it is for mormons

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2010 01:39PM by onceanelder.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 02:00PM

how stupid anybody is who doesn't agree with you (Whether or not you are in the wrong, this is bad form).

I'm kind of embarrassed for that girl.

She has shown her own ignorance, arrogance, AND lack of good manners (by assuming your agreement and then insulting you).

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 02:21PM

You've got it right on, imaworkinonit, I like the way YOU think! In compassion towards her, she is just mimicking her culture, imitating her authority figures who pitdig since their arguments are vapid.

I took some advice once from a parenting site which told parents to tell children who were being bullied,

"No matter what you do or say, I am still a worthwhile person."

I said that to a Mormon who was being rude and they immediately said, "I never said you weren't a worthwhile person," which allowed me to immediately reply,

"Then stop treating me as if you consider me worthless."

They slunk away. I taught that phrase to all my children.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 02:25PM

The best answer ever given in response to this question about a native religion and belief that the world travels on the back of a giant turtle: "But what does the turtle travel on?".

Apologies to whoever posted that originally on RfM.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 03:30PM

בְּצֶלֶם is the Hebrew word that is translated as image of. This makes sense if we compare the word as used in other passages such as PS 8:6. So, God created humanity Elohim-like. With a backdrop of Canaanite and Babylonian beliefs which the Hebrew scriptures grew out of, this intones that the King of gods, YHWH, is surrounded by divine beings and humanity like him is a ruler over creation. Humanity may be lower than the Angels of Heaven and thus lower than God but they are able to take part in His creative process by being given the "right" to pro-create and rule over God's creation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.