Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 03:20AM

So yesterday, I had a friend post a song on my wall. "I am Afraid of Americans" by David Bowie featuring Trent Reznor. It brings back lots of memories from the 90's. lol So early this morning, my mom was perusing around on my page, I guess, and she was so disturbed by the video (she hates Trent Reznor with a passion), of course she had to make a post on it. And I quote:

"The Brits better thank God for the Americans or they'd all be speaking German today!!!!"

Here I have this song posted on my wall by a friend of mine, not a mutual friend, and my mom has to make some weird comment about it. It may not seem like much to ya'll, but you don't know the background of what I dealt with growing up when it came to "my music". Downright guilt, verbal abuse, screaming, glaring, throwing away cd's, tapes, blaring the music throughout the entire house when she found it and screaming at me about the "meaning" of it. I am still bothered by the memories of this stuff at the age of 31. I just ignored her comment and left the post up there. If she wants to watch it again and get all offended by Trent Reznor dragging a cross and David singing, "God is an American", then she can go right ahead. Nobody invited her to look at it.

So today, I put up a political posting from C-Span/YouTube. It was an interesting little back and forth between Rep. Buyer and Laura Richardson in the House. It was purely political. My older sister *liked* the link and then commented this:

"Looks like a church GA."

What in the HELL does this have to do with a political posting?! I never thought anything of the sort when I put the link up. Nothing church-like ever ran through my mind. I am being bombarded by an illness that runs deep in my family. *gags*

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 04:33AM

My mom and I have polar opposite views on just about everything, and there isn't much we can talk about with her predilection for comments like the one your mom made. I'm always screening what I'm about to say for its potential to violate one of her many beliefs that flow into everything and elicit a response that's corrective, argumentative, or just plain stupid. It's exhausting. Even the most seemingly mundane topics have hidden side doors to an argument.

She isn't even very TBM; hate to think if she was. Still, everything is a moral issue. Fortunately, she's not on the internet.

:-)

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 09:33AM

There's this little "unfriend" button that works very well.

Ron

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 12:20PM

I like the little hidden X (only shows up when you put your cursor over it -- on the right of their post by their name)... the new features: "Hide this post" ...Hide (their name) Report Spam, etc. Cleans up the page really fast!:-) I X out games, etc. so I can read what I am interested in that particular day.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 03:00PM

I blocked my mom in the late summer for a couple of months because she was calling everyone she knew and telling them that I "wasn't wearing garments anymore, I didn't believe the church was true, and I was no longer taking my children to church." *gasp* I recently refriended her a few weeks ago, but things are still super rocky. Before I came out with my knowledge that TSCC is a fraud, I used to call my mom almost every day and we would go to lunch weekly and go shopping. The emotional blackmail and whispering behind my back has been so bad that I literally cut off all communication with her for months, even though I am the only child of her's that lives in the same town as her. The rest of my siblings live hundreds of miles away.

I know about the x thing, so I don't have to see their weird posts, but that doesn't prevent them from making weird comments on my page. Like the song wasn't something she would have seen unless she was literally stalking my page.

My older sister is super sweet and I could never defriend her because that would be more destructive to my cause of showing how good my life is after leaving TSCC. I just consider her to be in a zombie-like state with how deep she is brainwashed... I guess I will just have to deal with it, but I REALLY needed a place to vent about it. :)

Posted by: licoricemoratorium ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 05:40PM

For whatever reason, many of my husband's Mormon family members have insisted on friending us on Facebook despite the way they sort of avoid us in life. But they have an innate ability to just ignore anything we post they don't like and very voraciously "like" anything we post that is innocuous.

I honestly think I'd prefer if they said something. Their elephant in the room stance sort of drives me insane.

The story you posted about mom reminds me of my husband's mom. She would do the laundry with his "inappropriate" t-shirts (that he bought with his own money) and they just magically wouldn't come back out the other end. She would pay my husband in concert tickets to attend church. Total nonsense.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.