Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imbadash ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 09:05PM

I would like to thank everyone who puts forth the effort to help here. This site is what gave me the strength to tell my husband I didnt beleive, and Thankfully open his eyes as well. The problem we have is my husband's family. He is one of 10 kids ALL of whitch are tbm. It has been a long time since we quit attending but my daughter turns 8 in a few months and the missionaries keep stopping by telling us our family sent them. I have told them my answer I give to all tbm who ask -I'm Happy- but they continue to basically harrass us. My husband has agreed to have our memberships revoked, however we live in a very small southern town, his family is very active and spans the ages from 34-14, they will certaintly be told and I fear the harrasing will actually get worse.The mormon religion holds no power over me, would I be opening an unneccesary can of worms? Should I resign to save my daughter?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2010 09:29PM by imbadash.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 09:14PM

you are going to get a ton of opinions from fellow posters.... here's mine: If the church has no power over you, then show them that they have no power over you. Do what you have to do to protect your daughter from them. They are predators.

Posted by: Mrs. Estzerhaus ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 09:31PM

Something every EXmo needs to learn is boundries. It takes all the stress out of it when you don't get involved with talking to your inlaws.

It is a good idea to have a talk with your children about boundries. Similar to not allowing people touching them where they don't feel comfortable, nobody should make them feel ashamed about religion.

Congratulations on your decision to leave ;)

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 09:34PM

One problem I see with a LOT of people trying to leave the church is they struggle to stand up for themselves. They are afraid of how asserting themselves will be perceived. It's ok to be firm and put your foot down with all these people. Call the area MP, write him a letter and explain you are being harassed and it needs to stop. The missionaries visiting you are going to keep doing it as long as there's someone above them telling them to. I absolutely agree you need to have your name removed from the roles. They are NOT supposed to contact you once your names are removed. You can sue for harassment if it continues after you tell them to leave you alone.

Posted by: imbadash ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 09:34PM

Thats actually a major problem. When his parents watch the kids they tell them stuff like God doesnt love people who have tattoos ( all my siblings left the church and have them and I have one as well.) Then they sing prophet songs with them so on and so forth.

Posted by: Rodolfo ( )
Date: December 01, 2010 09:50PM

I am going to re-post my comments made on another thread.

It was the actual resignations of numerous credible people that finally was a tipping point for our family to actually consider contrary information about the mormons. People who were exed were obviously not credible and people who merely slunk away were "hiding" something (their sins, of course, or their poor character). When it became more and more clear that numerous credible people were resigning in the full light of day without any hint of "slinking" away, and with happiness and freedom, then we wanted to know what was so compelling to them.

We have many of these early courageous people to thank and only wish now that we would have known earlier.

Although every situation is different, I believe everyone needs to resign out of integrity to the truth.

Remember, the cult wants you to remain anonymous. Mormons are happy to have you sitting in the pews looking like a happy member even if you are a silent apostate. If they can't get that, they are happy to have you slink away, the results being that the cult uses your own empathy for your family and friends against you by implying that the fact that you HAVEN'T resigned is evidence that you are "really" a believer.

SILENCE contributes to more people inadvertently believing the fairly tale of mormonism. We all need to eventually stand up and be counted on this because WHY one leaves the church is vital as a lifeline to the prisoners who remain. Merely slinking away CONFIRMS to the TBMs that you really STILL believe but do not have the character to conform your life to the gospel.

Many posters here on this Board like you have spouses and children and other family members who still believe the fantasy.

As more and more credible people in every walk of life laugh in the full light of day and say, "What, you still believe in mormonism after all the evidence against it?," the more credible it will be for others to consider the evidence, and the more mainstream it will be to get all the facts about this crazy cult on the table.

We need more exposure about the diversity of people who have left the cult, rather than the popular perception that its "only" the historians, intellectuals, sinners and disgruntled ex-employees, and feminists, etc. who have left.

I look forward to the day when political mormon candidates or candidates for other serious executive or responsible positions will be challenged on the basis that a belief in mormonism calls into question the candidate's judgment and ability to conduct due diligence -- akin to believing the sun revolves around the earth. Would anyone seriously elect David Koresh, Warren Jeffs, or Sun Myong Moon to an important position or hire them in their company?

Once upon a time we only had the courageous Tanners to refer to and their isolation made it easy for the cult to dismiss them -- I never seriously read their excellent material for years. Today, we can produce dozens if not hundreds of resignation letters from reasonable, experienced, life-long mormon, credible people who have left the church ON ITS OWN MERITS and there is nothing more compelling to mormons than TESTIMONIES. When you are ready, please ADD YOURS and RESIGN.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.