Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Skunk Puppet ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:19PM

Today, Dec 2, at 11:00 a.m. PST (2:00 p.m. on the East coast), NASA is going to announce the discovery of a life form that is completely different from any other life form known on Earth.

Though this life form was not found on another planet [ it was found in a poisonous lake in California], it is believed that this discovery will have a great impact on our understanding of life.

http://gizmodo.com/5704158/nasa-finds-new-life-completely-different-from-all-life-we-know

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:29PM

Because they are likewise not based on any known building blocks of life either!

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:31PM

Comfortably Numb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because they are likewise not based on any known
> building blocks of life either!

And to think I thought my ex-MIL lived in Michigan! Who knew she was under your kids' beds.

Ron

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:31PM

Posted by: sisterexmo ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:15PM

I should think the dolphins might qualify.

Posted by: Freevolved ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:40PM

Exactly. This is probably going to be another point on the board for big old...dun, dun, dun...EVOLUTION!

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:34PM

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:42PM

Mono Lake in California is hardly poisonous. I used to buy brine shrimp (same as exist in the Great Salt Lake) that were raised there. They were large and meaty because of the algae that grew in the lake...

Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Here we go...

http://www.thirdage.com/news/mono-lake-fake-discovery-has-web-abuzz_12-2-2010

So what do we have, an hour and a half before NASA's announcement?

I'm getting ready to LMAO... Seriously...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 12:43PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: December 02, 2010 12:52PM

http://www.monolake.org/visit/

>An Invitation -
>To explore, befriend and learn from Mono Lake... to walk its beaches, float on its waters and climb its volcanoes... to ponder what our children should inherit...

>-David Gaines
>co-founder, Mono Lake Committee

I suspect the experience is on par with swimming in the Great Salt Lake, although the water is doubtless much less polluted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 01:29PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:46PM

Date: December 02, 2010 01:41PM

SL Cabbie Wrote:
> Mono Lake in California is hardly poisonous. I
> used to buy brine shrimp (same as exist in the
> Great Salt Lake) that were raised there. They were
> large and meaty because of the algae that grew in
> the lake...
>
> Ding, Ding, Ding!!! Here we go...
>
> http://www.thirdage.com/news/mono-lake-fake-discov
> ery-has-web-abuzz_12-2-2010
>
> So what do we have, an hour and a half before
> NASA's announcement?
>
> I'm getting ready to LMAO... Seriously...

Well, maybe the cabbie should get off his ass and alert NASA to stand down from this news conference. You've got 20 minutes to straighten them out. I'm sure as soon as they hear from you they'll cancel it.

Date: December 02, 2010 01:57PM

Your prose, is in fact, odorous...

Listen to Jesus below, he's been a past consultant of mine, and I've already issued him an e-calling that I believe the board will sustain him in...

I have a link ready for the streaming of the NASA announcement...

We shall see...

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:12PM

If the rumors are correct, this announcement leads to probably two (and only two are most likely) developments.

1) this bacteria branched off in evolution early in the primordial soup, roughly 4.5Bya.

2) this bacteria developed in the solar system or another nearby and found its way by hitching a ride on a meteorite.

The first is unlikely because of phosphorus kinetics (in competition with the less abundant arsenic) and resource competition with the phosphor-based forms for the next several billion years. That it still remains seems improbable, but not impossible.

The latter suggest a commonality in some forms of micro evolution given different abundances of elements. That is interesting. Even thought he DNA sequences don't share the same element for its backbone, it still roughly formed bases that are useful for encoding information into proteins (information theory suggest three bases for a codon is the optimal point). If by chance the same bases (albeit with arsenic) code the same amino acids, that makes it less probable that this bacteria evolved on another planet.

Of course, this speculation is based on rumors...

Date: December 02, 2010 02:06PM

I can see where their announcement is going :)

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:14PM

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

But the announcement is underwhelming relative to the hype. It's terrestrial life, they say.

They're suggesting that it happened to be a substitution rather than a completely independent evolution. That being the case, it would share sequence (though with bases of arsenic/arsenate). The rumors had said it had a DNA that "is completely alien to what we know today." Completely different means it branched off and evolved independently very early on. Is it substitution from early evolution?

If it evolved that far back, my question is, when did it start evolving? How long has Mono lake existed and with an abundance of arsenic? Was that region part of the great basin?

I have to stop listening for a work meeting but will return to this later.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:33PM

At least you listen. I'm on one right now and catching a little here and a little there.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:33PM

gasp! Maybe we are in the same one!

Date: December 02, 2010 02:42PM

Y'all want to listen to Jesus on this one, and without disclosing too much IRL stuff, his education and professional credentials are easily equivalent to those who appeared in this video. This the Cabbie doth bear witness to and solemly sweareth that it is true.

What the lady scientist discovered was a microbe that lived in an environment with arsenic found in abundance and discovered in the laboratory that if she removed the element phosphorous from the environment she artificially created, then it would adapt and incorporate arsenic into its DNA sequences...

This is not a "new and unique life form" in the sense that under ordinary circumstances it uses phosphorous rather than arsenic, and it is terrestrial in origin...

From what I've seen of research into bacteria living underseas in thermal vents and anaerobic conditions, there is much there that is unique and worthy of further study... I suppose it just needs some better press agents...

Incidentally, I don't blame NASA for the hype; I blame the drama llamas and drama mamas on the web...

In the name of Orson Wells...

Addendum: A Cabbie note to Jesus: According to Wiki, Mono Lake formed at least 760 thousand years ago...

(edit) Addendum II: MSNBC is now reporting with this one, and our favorite Japanese-American physicist Michio Kiku just got 30 seconds to translate this stuff properly... Right before the hype about LeBron James coming back to Cleveland with his new team... Hey, you folks were watching what the Jazz did to Miami on that last road trip, right?

Didn't think so...

Dr. Kiku, they owed you more time than they gave you...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/2010 02:55PM by SL Cabbie.

Date: December 02, 2010 02:48PM

"From what I've seen of research into bacteria living underseas in thermal vents and anaerobic conditions"

Archaea. I wonder if that's what this is.

Date: December 02, 2010 02:46PM

Brought about in this age of 24 hour news channels (especially one in particular, starts with an F, but I'm showing my political bias), corporate newspapers, and blogging.

Sensationalism sells, and I think your average person wouldn't pay attention to a more realistically titled and written article about the bacteria.

Date: December 02, 2010 04:53PM

Jesus Smith Wrote:
> http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html
>
> But the announcement is underwhelming relative to
> the hype. It's terrestrial life, they say.
>
> They're suggesting that it happened to be a
> substitution rather than a completely independent
> evolution. That being the case, it would share
> sequence (though with bases of arsenic/arsenate).
> The rumors had said it had a DNA that "is
> completely alien to what we know today."
> Completely different means it branched off and
> evolved independently very early on. Is it
> substitution from early evolution?
>
> If it evolved that far back, my question is, when
> did it start evolving? How long has Mono lake
> existed and with an abundance of arsenic? Was
> that region part of the great basin?
>
> I have to stop listening for a work meeting but
> will return to this later.

Yeah, the hypers never said it was extra-terrestrial and the actual announcement did not really live up to the hoopla surrounding this "discovery." Apparently, it was a bacterium living in the mud of the lake and the boffins observed it uptaking arsenic instead of phosphorus (very close on the periodic table) and growing and thriving despite the absence (total absence?) of phosphorus, a component needed for life as we thought we knew it, and the incorporation of arsenic. They didn't say anything about old lace. Heh.

Posted by: atheist&happy:-) ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:13PM

Posted by: Frontal Lobotomy ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:47PM

It's life, Jim, but not as we know it.

Date: December 02, 2010 04:36PM

I can see Jesus Smith's point that the announcement is underwhelming in some respects.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:13PM

Date: December 02, 2010 07:18PM

After this one, you can take the night off...

And thanks, Upperclassman, for the link... I'm also filing that piece about the anti-fluoride arguments...

You never know when that one will come in handy around here...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.