Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mpp ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:28AM

I have very active TBM relatives living in Utah that have beards. Some single, some married. I always thought this was discouraged.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:29AM

A neatly-trimmed goatee, in my case. Somebody on the board hates them though. :D

Ron

Posted by: bookish ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:32AM

I have several TBM relatives and friends with beards or goatees. I was surprised to see the first cousin grow one, but that was a couple years ago now. These are men in their 20s or 30s. They all keep them neatly trimmed.

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:32AM

My mom HATES the beard. It's funny.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 10:33AM

In my TBM wife's stake they recently had a talk from the SP at a leadership meeting about appropriate grooming. In this stake facial hair is still taboo (including nicely trimmed goatees). I suppose that's an easy way to avoid being "called".

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:43AM

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 11:49AM

Goatee with sideburns for me.

Posted by: jon1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:43PM

I misread your origional question. Correct answer...I don't care for it on women.

Posted by: Rosyjenn ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 12:46PM

hahahaa

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:16PM

But the correct position is either squatting or kneeling.

Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 01:25PM

Richard the Bad Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But the correct position is either squatting or
> kneeling.

..or bent over a table spread-legged. Eh?

Ron

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:20PM

In the TBM eyes, a goatee or beard makes you look a little bit like Satan. Hence, avoid even the appearance of evil.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 04:33PM

Yeah. Or appearing like Jesus. Or doing anything Jesus would do.

Posted by: Gwylym ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:26PM

I think it looks better on men than women.

Posted by: mrcoffee84 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:46PM

Only in the Mormon church is this an issue. We are wasting time talking about facial hair. Funny how as an active lds teen I knew it was important to shave my face but it was forbidden to shave "down there" :)

Posted by: Simone Stigmata ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:59PM

For a Muslim man, you need to have facial hair and you need to shave down there. Quite the opposite of the Mor(m)on view. I wonder which religion is true. ;)

Posted by: Serena ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 03:16PM

Ick! For what possible reason? I've never heard of this before. I'm not Muslim of course, but still. Is there some reason given for this?

Not meaning to hijack, but WTF??? I had to ask.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 08:12PM

madiran Wrote:
> Check this out.
>
> http://www.pinkislam.com/health-body/shaving-pubic
> -hair.html

Old health custom to cut down on lice and infections, as I understand it.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:12PM

Originally, it was probably for the same reason that the ancient Egyptians shaved their entire bodies (the upper classes anyway). Lice.

Posted by: dthenonreligious ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 04:17PM

Never knew man-scaping was outlawed by the MORG. No one likes a hairy dong, it is about being polite and considerate to your partner.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 02:47PM

My FIL has a beard. He looks like Santa. No one cares.

Posted by: lily ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 03:11PM

Temple-worthy TBM I work with has a beard for the winter.

Posted by: Comfortably Numb ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 03:15PM

Anytime the bishop is due to be replaced, let your facial hair grow out and you're off the hook for being called into the next bishopric. Works well for anytime you hear they are shopping for any leadership position in the ward as well.

The next step is to start wearing solid color shirts that are not white to church - that's the next page of that playbook to avoid being called to anything time demanding!

Posted by: lissie ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 04:17PM

I always asked silly questions such as these (no wonder I didn't fit in, huh?).

The answer I got more than once was "Follow the Bretheren." When I asked what that meant, I was told, do you see any of the GA's or Profits wearing facial hair?

The clear message was that the more similar you looked/acted like the big guys, the more righteous you were.

Posted by: lissie ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 04:19PM

Oh yeah, and I guess Jesus wasn't considered one of the "big guys" cause his beard didn't count under that "Follow the Bretheren" ideal.

Posted by: LonelyHusband ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 04:35PM

Jesus also drank wine, associated with the "wrong" crowd, and was against folks using religion to make money... obviously there is need for an example of "righteousness" that is more in line with the LDS narative. Afterall, if Christ was really the examplar mormons claim he is to them, then the church would not look or function the way it does today.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 08:11PM

LonelyHusband Wrote:
> Jesus also drank wine, associated with the "wrong"
> crowd, and was against folks using religion to
> make money... obviously there is need for an
> example of "righteousness" that is more in line
> with the LDS narative. Afterall, if Christ was
> really the examplar mormons claim he is to them,
> then the church would not look or function the way
> it does today.

Just me, but I never heard anything in Christianity, Mormonism, (the religions of the majority of my life) that one was to be like Jesus during his time, in how they dressed, or facial hair, etc.
Is that Biblical? If so, I must have forgotten.

Posted by: LonelyHusband ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 08:36PM

My comment about “the church would not look or function the way it does today” was not about beards. I was speaking more metaphorically. You know, like how the bishop’s storehouse is only available to you if you pay your tithing, you’re shunned if you dress differently, or listen to NPR…
I was being a bit flippant, you’re right we are not supposed to physically look like Jesus, so why then is there pressure to look a certain way at all?

Posted by: Gadfly ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 05:05PM

My father is a temple worker and had to get rid of his moustache that he's had for many years.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 08:20PM

and oh my gosh, he looks gorgeous. He has a real baby face without it but with a beard ... YUM! I really like beards on guys so he gets told he's gorgeous by me a lot. I'm pretty sure he likes that much, much more than he likes the beard itself. My mom said the beard was OK but he better not shave it into a goatee because she's scared of guys with goatees. Go figure.

My favorite beard story was when the bishop's wife made a comment about facial hair and I flippantly replied, "Man, I'm glad DH has a beard - I'd hate it if he got stuck in a bishopric. I'm going to make sure he never shaves it." Yeah, it was a bit thoughtless of me - I really wasn't thinking about what I was saying. But the look on her face was priceless. I don't think it ever occurred to her that people weren't envious of her, being married to a BISHOP. That some people didn't want that dubious status distinction and would actively take steps to avoid what she considered a huge personal achievement for her family. Weird.

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 08:27PM

I'm so glad I no longer suffer from religion. Anybody who told me to shave off my goatee will get a few cross words!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 08:45PM

They may be more tolerant for nobodies in the church, but in order for you to serve in a calling for Bishop or higher or attend BYU the facial hair has to go

Posted by: ozpoof ( )
Date: December 02, 2010 09:13PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.