Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:38AM

Has anyone else noticed the recent moves by the Church that seem to be direct responses to criticism? I'm specifically speaking of moves like putting the the CHI online for all to see— and the more open discussion of the FV version or polygamy on the new LDS.org beta site?

I think the cross on the door of the Rome Temple is along the same lines— a move towards to mainstream Christians, a concession of sorts. It's like they're saying "We've heard the criticism. See?"

I think it's all pretty calculated and cynical myself. It is merely a response to pressure from outside/more liberal factions and the Church is certainly engineering it to their full advantage. I am under no illusions that the Church has seen the error of it's ways and is forever changed. These are shrewd PR moves— but they will eventually changed the way things are done.

Anyone else notice this? Is the Church on the ropes a little here? Will the

Many have predicted that the Church will collapse under the weight of external pressure. I personally think it likely will just change in response to pressure until it becomes irrelevant.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:34PM

It is reminiscent of the push to put nice white steeples on all ward buildings about 8 years ago. It said, "see, we are protestant like you".

Posted by: Interested ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:45PM

I still haven't seen the cross on the temple in Rome. Can someone please point it out or explain where it is?

Posted by: Snow ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 09:52PM

I've heard that picture is a hoax. Does anyone know for sure?

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 02:47PM

On the other hand we have the letter last month from the 1st presidency warning people away from outside support groups, and the crackdown on sleepovers.

They certainly did a quick change when they ordered the local governments in Utah to pass gay rights laws.

It's more like a stagger than a flinch. A little move one way, then a little the other way. And I would guess it is all calculated to generate publicity and distract members from the man behind the curtain.

Posted by: nalicea ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 03:18PM

It is on the temple door. I put a link up the other day on a thread about it. On iPod now or I would link it again.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 03:26PM

This is the beauty of modern day revelation. They can change with the flow of the times and it will be "new revelation". Most Americans over time are developing more open minds and tolerance toward others as well as other ideas and it is not uncommon for women to work outside the home now. I can't imagine in future generations women will keep thinking they need to stay at home to be a good mom to their kids. I have the most wonderful 6 year old daughter, and she has been in daycare since she was 2. Because of it, she is doing very well in 1st grade because she has been taught the basics and structure since that age. Their ideas are becoming archaic. So eventually they are due for some new "revelation".

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 10:07PM

Oh, the prophet will say, "no more than one pierced ear" or "no R-rated movies" but there hasn't been a revelation given in many, many, many decades. They can't affor to have a revelation. What if it turns out to be wrong? No, they change so called doctrine with a slight of hand. And since the morgbots are required to "follow the prophet" they are obliged to do what he says. Kind of like the infalibility of the Pope. I want a job like that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2010 10:09PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: Cristina ( )
Date: December 03, 2010 11:05PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.