Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 12:56PM

My kid is an 8th grader in Utah county. Many of his buddies are TBM I think. Well, he tells me all the stuff they talk about, the games they play, the girl stuff. I am always shocked at what he tells me, and that these kids are all doing the same stuff. Do their parents know, or is it just how it is?

I guess when he was younger I was always shocked at what his mo friends parents would let their young kids watch in the way of movies. I sheltered him more then, still try to.

So I wonder, what is typical of kids these days? Or is it just boys? they have a game "that's what she said". It's pretty funny, but basically if someone says something that they can then respond to with "that's what she said" then all the boys have to put their finger on their nose and say a color. Whoever does it last or doesn't do it has to moan out loud.

They do this in class. I mean, it's funny, it just seems like they should be too young.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ExMormonRon ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 12:57PM

In short, yes.

Ron (father of 3 sons)

Date: December 06, 2010 12:57PM

oh, and yes, I do realize this is sexist, and that if they got caught it could be sexual harrassment, I give him THAT lecture all the time.

Are girls this age like this too?

I can't remember I was so pure.....NOT!!

Posted by: get her done ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 12:58PM

Yes.

Date: December 06, 2010 01:00PM

and another question-do all of you who were tbm then admit to the big M? I know my kid does. He is pretty open with me,obviously.

I know they joke about it, but do they all do it?

Posted by: vhainya ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 01:16PM

I found my TBM male friends even more likely to talk about sex, and in a more disrespectful and inappropriate manner than my secular or liberal friends.

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 01:31PM

;o)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 01:31PM by wine country girl.

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:42PM

HEY wcg I AM A LITTLE BUSY RIGHT NOW....can ya give me a hand??? :)

Date: December 06, 2010 02:52PM

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:54PM

Date: December 06, 2010 03:07PM

Date: December 06, 2010 03:40PM

Date: December 06, 2010 04:01PM

Date: December 06, 2010 04:16PM

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:27AM

no she means...."things"!! :)

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:31PM

KSL (Church owned TV Station) has a story that should paint the picture for you pretty well.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=309&sid=133259

Date: December 06, 2010 02:49PM

Yikes!! I knew he said there were a few kids claiming to do it, but they really are? This is scary. Of course I have talked to him about it, safe sex, etc, and pregnancy, but still. And this was 5 years ago?

My TBM friend who lives in Lehi, and I live in Eagle Mountain, said the kids out "here" are much worse than the ones in Lehi. Her son never talks about sex. But, he has like 8 sisters around, so why would he talk about it with them? I wonder what he is really like with his friends, or are all his mo friends pure in thought and deed?

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 05:58PM

Probably about 70% of those in the story were LDS. I read a BYU study that wasn't widely published about LDS kids and sex. I don't remember the numbers, but I remember thinking, wow... when I go to a youth activity half of the girls there have probably had sex! And more than half of the boys.

I grew up in UT County, and from my experience the more rural you get, the more kids drink and have sex.

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:38PM

I talked about sex with my TBM friends when I was a teenager. It was one of the main topics we discussed. Now I talk about sex with my TBM wife which is even more fun.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:40PM

'Course-in-my-day-most-of-us-just-talked-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:50PM

Why would this surprise you ?

Date: December 06, 2010 02:56PM

Guess cause it wasn't allowed in my house, even with 3 brothers. I know we did (the youth in my ward) but I think we were older. I mean, we waited till we were like 17 to have sex or shower with our boyfriends.

I guess I just worry that he will do something stupid. I don't want him to get a disease, and certainly not someone preggers. He is adopted through LDS, unwed mommy, and I would not want to have to deal with that, plus I feel like shit and can't raise another kid, though I want grand kids.

I'm just surprised at the stuff he says. Maybe thats because I'm his mom.

Posted by: exmo99 ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 02:54PM

All boys at all ages as soon as they find out what "that" does, think, talk, and act all on sex. It's just how we are...

Posted by: Taddlywog ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 03:21PM

A couple of months ago he said when he gets married he hopes his wife will let him get her pregnant. I am not sure all he understands. He loves animal shows. I replied with a nonchalant- "that would be nice"

Date: December 06, 2010 03:35PM

LOL!! that's classic....

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 05:42PM

Didn't the "that's what she says" come from the TV show, "The Office?"

My TBM daughter TRIES NOT to say that line. She was the one who started saying it years ago. She is the one that seems to catch all the suggestive statements people make. She used to censor the movies I SAW. (She was inactive until age 21).

I think it is pretty typical, but I also believe that most children aren't going to talk about sex around their parents.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 05:49PM

regarding your own "sheltering" skills. You don't know the half of what he's up to.

Posted by: verdacht ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 06:28PM

Yes they do. Back in the day though, supposedly NOBODY masturbated and we certainly never talked about it. That went for kids in and out of the Church.
Masturbation was something you'd never dream of admitting. Accusing someone of it was used simply as an insult.

"that's what she said" goes back to at least the early 70's.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2010 06:32PM by verdacht.

Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: December 06, 2010 06:39PM

I left single adult ward about 5 months ago. None of the guys would admit to masturbation. But when you are in interviews witht the bishop he expects you to say when was the last time you masturbated. The bishop knew all the guys and some girls masturbated that is why he would ask that question.

When I was 13 as a TBM I would have never admitted to maturbating and I thought I was one of the only ones that did it. Come to find out when people are honest it was something everyone did at that age. Damn church and all that guilt.

Posted by: Symboline ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 05:22AM

Oh dear god, you wouldn't believe the things I was hearing in my primary school. Children as young as eight would talk about sex, masturbation, oral sex, group sex, contraception, you name it. These kids could tell the teachers things even they didn't know! I think that's why I became so uncomfortable and shy around anything remotely sexual, even on TV, because I heard it discussed in extremely disrespectful and vulgar terms by kids at school. God it was disgusting.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 06:46AM

Remember, back in the day 13 year olds were considered men and women because they could create children. It's only in modern times that we invented adolescence because it takes more skills and training to care for a family.

We only worry about teen pregnancies because our society thinks you should wait to have kids. Our bodies think differently, and our ancestors normally were done having kids by 30.

Posted by: labdork ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:19AM

Wow...Something must be wrong with me. I didn't masturbate until I was 16 or so. I guess I didn't realize I could! Probably made up for it since then.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 05:13PM by labdork.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.