Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 10:07AM

It struck me if the OP had been a man, Mr. Perry would have excused himself to the bathroom rather than listen to a come uppance from a member.

So I'm surprised Perry took fifteen minutes. Was it because she was a she and not a He?

Was it because she was blood kin to major mormons?

Or does time just fly when you're having fun???

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 11:59AM

When I figured out who it is, was that he must have really been taken back when this very good looking woman who (forgive me Think4U) could have easily been mistaken for a stake Relief Society president and who was very well spoken, turned the tables on him. I think you're right that he might not have given the time of day to a man. It really probably took him until the very end to realize she wasn't one of his adoring fans. I can see it in my mind and just laugh. YOU GO, GIRL!

And Think4u, you said in the now closed thread that you won't relay a story like that again on this board because of the people who didn't believe you. Don't you DARE keep a story like that to yourself. Blow the doubters off. We love you!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 03:47PM

And seriously, NR and I have had our squabbles here...

I don't think I've met Think4U, although given the others she mentioned (all of whom know my name), it's quite possible.

As for the doubters, I've had my run-ins with the two I noticed. I'll charitably describe the namecalling replies they used on me as "evidence more recovery is needed."

Think4U, anytime you need a slightly geriatric but still brave cabdriver to barrel into a crowd of hasslers or just help you haul ass out of some trouble, I'm your guy...

Except I think NormaRae can be even tougher than I am... People tend to discount road rage as a tempoary state, although with me it can be a bit chronic...(BTW, I hope your arm is getting better, NR. I recall there were some doubters on that one as well).

Anyway, the following is true: My mother retired from Macy's (at a different mall), and when Hinckley was still 1st Counselor in the FP, he used to pick up his wife from her shopping trips there. No bodyguards for him either; this is Utah, not Miami or someplace else that might be dangerous...

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:02PM

Gosh Cabbie, it's been 6 years this month since I left Utah and we were here a long time before that. We kinda have to vouch for each other, I guess. Our "squabbles" on the board seem really funny now. I mean, I feel a kinship to all the people who used to go to the Provo Marriott and get served by the bartender wearing the CTR ring (who asked what went in a rum and cola). Too bad think4u couldn't have joined us then, she'd have added a lot of fun to the party.

Thanks for asking about the arm. It's still just kind of a worthless piece of meat hanging from my carcass and I'm kind of tired of lugging it around. I have a long way to go--months of PT to get where I really have any use of it. I don't do anything half-way. If I'm gonna bust something up I'm gonna do a good job of it.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:06PM

Thanks Norma Rae, your words are very meaningful to me because I remember you well from when I used to post all the time- always with something interesting or constructive to say. Best to you!

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:08PM

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:13PM

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:09PM

He would never have been so cowardly as to run from a mere woman, at least as long as no one was listening.

And someone posted quite a while ago that most of the bodyguards had been laid off.

It would be so great if they decided they weren't safe in public and had to hire them back.

Posted by: DNA ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 12:38PM

I read the thread and know she said 15 minutes, but I'll bet there was a time distortion (not a lie on her part, just time distorted due to the wierdness of the situation, kind of like in car wrecks that makes it seem like time slows down). I'll bet it was only a few minutes.

I was surprised at how many people didn't believe it could happen. When most of us here were TBM types, if someone was telling the truth and claimed to have a marvelous uplifting chance encounter where one of the big guys was met in public, we'd probably believe it happened.

Nothing changed, other than who was on the other side of the conversation, an apostate rather than an adoring fan.

He was caught/trapped. As I recall from the story, he was sitting in one of the "guy seats" that smart stores put somewhere so guys can sit and kill time while the wife shops. I look for those all the time. They are few and far between.

It's a lot easier to evade someone when you are walking, you just keep moving and make it hard for the person who is trying to bother you. You basically became passive aggressive. If you are caught sitting, you are kind of stuck. You can't just be passive aggressive, you have to be aggressive aggressive.

The congressman who gets a microphone shoved in his face as he hurries between an exit of a building and a waiting car with the door opened for him doesn't look nearly as bad as when they are caught sitting and have to get up and run from the camera. One looks avoidant, and the other one looks chicken shit.

He was caught without his wife, sitting in the guy chair at Macy's, and didn't want to look chickenshit by getting up and leaving, so he just waited it out.

Posted by: think4u ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:23PM

Exactly, that is exactly what happened. And my 15 minute guess included the time I walked away for a few minutes to let the other lady adore him. When I spoke, I was NOT rambling on, but speaking sharply and firmly and with total confidence in what I was saying. My thoughts were flying and my words seemed to just flow very easily, and I did not really go in for the kill until I bore my testimony. That is when he first realized what he was really dealing with, I have no doubt. Because by then I was angry and he knew it. I never really thought of it but I think he did feel trapped, plus, he was sitting and I was standing, which just gives one automatically more of a power position, I mean I was literally talking down to him. I believe you hit it right on, he was just waiting me out, hoping I would leave before anyone else heard anything, which I do not think anyone did, at least I saw no one in the area, and the "guy seat" he sat in was the only one of the four that was occupied. You got it- He did not want to look chicken shit! There is a new word for my vocabulary!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2010 07:32PM by think4u.

Posted by: helemon ( )
Date: December 07, 2010 07:43PM

I didn't realize that think4you was a woman. Knowing that makes it mord plausible that Perry would just sit there and take it rather than argue or walk away. I also think bystanders would be less concerned seeing a woman talk to him vs a man.

I also want to stress that my assertion was not personal. There are frequently spoof and satire posts on this site, many which fool several readers.

Second the story describes something many exmos would love to do, but never get a chance or feel such behavior is not "polite" in public.

So think4u, feel free to post similar stories, but don't expect people who don't know you to readily believe such a ballsy tale! Such is the nature of the internet. =)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.