Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StumpMonkey ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:40AM

I'm a divorced exmo, with a child and an ex living in UT. We divorced back east, but the ex moved to UT for employment with the daughter.

Last year my daughter skipped enough classes she landed in Truancy court in UT Cty. She is currently receiving a few non-passing grades and the truancy judge has decided that she is under house-arrest until she improves. This effectively means she won't be able to come out to see me for the holidays. I bought the plane tix and made all the arrangements. I can't get back there, for complex reasons.

How can this gawdamned court stop me from exercising my rights as a parent? It was her TBM mother that messed up, not me. She's even talking about taking the daughter to stay with grandparents. WTF? House arrest???

My choices seem to be:

1. Accept it and move on
2. Call the truancy officer and beg
3. Bribe the judge.
4. Sue UT courts for breach of my parenting rights

I've been advised that criminal (truancy) court supercedes civil (family) court. Am I f'cked?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:46AM

I remember several years ago in West Valley City,UT(suburb of SLC) that a certain judge would not let a divorced mother take her kids out of state to move to Oregon. The judge said "The children need to be raised in a proper Mormon enviroment". Yes, this really did happen....It was even on Oprah's show, and an article about it in a womens magazine. If it had been me I would have taken it to the Supreme Court!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 01:17PM by utahmonomore.

Posted by: StumpMonkey ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 12:21PM

Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 12:44PM

and say look it's for the holiday's, I'm an out of state parent and this is my legally designated time with my child. It's not like she's going to run off an never come back.

Posted by: Otremer ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 12:58PM

Since you have custody over the holidays and your daughter's home is with YOU for that period of custody, the house arrest order would require that your daughter be at your house during your period of custody.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.