Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 07:09PM

...and lies and half-truths that I was forced to tell investigators back in the late 1970's.

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: khankrumthebulgar ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:06PM

There was in the Zurich Switzerland Mission then the discussions that were memorized. We used visual aids, primarily "Ancient America Speaks". About the Book of Mormon and focused on a basic message and to obtain commitments. The concept of giving Milk before meat and not giving too deep doctrines, in other words the dogma that would scare them out of the Meeting house was the order of the day. Being just out of teenage years and eager to be good Members and fill our mission was the motivation. The key thing is the Mission experience is intended to convert the Elders and Sisters to the church.

Posted by: archytas ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 08:19PM

The last time I ran into some, they basically said everything comes down to a burning in the bosom (they didn't say that exactly but you get the idea). Every time I tried to bring up a fact about church history they would steer the conversation back to feelings.

Posted by: fearguiltpromise ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:05PM

The manual, 'Preach my Gospel' that the mishies use has a picture of Joe pondering over the gold plates while his scribe sits nearby writing it down. Why is this method still implied? Where are the pictures of Joe looking in a hat at the stone? In fact, it doesn't even look like Joe is wearing the U and T. I'd say this is still deceptive if not more so.

Posted by: utahmonomore ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 10:38PM

They had me conned by the 3rd discussion and then baptised precisely after the 6th! Gee, go figure!

Posted by: battlebruise ( )
Date: December 08, 2010 11:28PM

Discussion #1: "There was in the place where we lived, an unusual excitement on the subject of religion; indeed the whole district of county seemed affected by it, with some crying lo here and lo there.." See, even after 35 years it is still burned into my brain. I knew them all back then and I know they are all BS now.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.