Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:50PM

On a previous thread:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,55919
that was started by Steve Benson we discussed the pros and cons of Steve being interviewed on John Dehlin's show. (Dehlin himself later posted on the thread, explaining his interview style.)

A sub-conversation developed around the recent interview with Dr. Bradshaw, particularly Part 4 in which Bradshaw talked about his gay son, and about the issue of gays within the LDS Church.
See: http://mormonstories.org/?p=1336

A lot of good things were said in the comments about Bradshaw. One of my friends sent the link to a TBM friend and her reaction was all too typical:

"It's obvious that this guys best years are way behind him. I don't wonder him embracing and trying to find justification for this subject since his own son is that way. But, all that garbage about tests that have been ran and findings that gays are legitimately born that way is just that-garbage. Every person on this earth has some type of physical issue and weakness. I agree that there are some with a weakness towards thinking or wanting someone of the same sex, but our weaknesses are what we are supposed to overcome in this life, not embrace them. It's just like an alcoholic having a weakness to drinking-it is something that should be overcome.

"We are taught to tolerate people of all kinds-just like the example that Jesus set. But, that doesn't mean we should agree with the way people live their lives.

"How on earth did you ever come across this? This guy admits that he was extremely naive about gays until he found out about his son. Then the natural reaction for him was to try to find excuses and justifications for this behavior. So, his credibility with me, just because of this subject, is not great to say the least. Like I said, at one time this guy might have been a great member of the church, but our church does not condone this homosexual behavior at all."

Oh, Cheezits H. Schist, way to dash all my hopes for the existence of reasonable mormons. I now see Bradshaw as one of a few lonely lights in the general mormon darkness.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rambo ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:55PM

Posted by: maria ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 02:57PM

Well! I am so envious of your TBM friend! I must be FANTASTIC to be perfect and without sin.

Can I get her autograph?

Posted by: badseed ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 03:42PM

Ya. The arrogance of that person to "know" that her/his way of thinking is right for everyone else and from God.

She/He acts like Bradshaw changing his views— after learning about his son and doing some research somehow ruins his credibility. Obviously she/he doesn't even understand her/his own religion. Sure Mormonism is fiction, but even LDS believe— in theory— that one can change their views with further light and knowledge. Too bad so few actually do it.

"Then the natural reaction for him was to try to find excuses and justifications for this behavior."

Funny they used this line to paint Bradshaw as a less faithful member etc. I actually think it better describes LDS members/leaders and their response to the onslaught of evidence against Mormonism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2010 03:43PM by badseed.

Posted by: OnceMore ( )
Date: December 15, 2010 05:45PM

The TBM friend has a serious empathy/compassion/irony deficit. This, combined with a sure sense of her own superiority in the cosmic scheme of things, makes me think she would love to give you her autograph.

Maybe you should treat her like a rock star and ask her to sign your boobs. That would be good for a few minutes of cognitive dissonance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.