Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 07:40PM

As the federal government recognized equal rights for those "Mormon-cursed" Blacks, so now it has done the same for those "Mormon-cursed" Gays.

Lordy, what's a righteous White Heterosexual Mormon to do?

Not only has the U.S. Congress now codified, in law, the rights of gays and lesbians to serve openly and equally in the nation's military, the newly-passed legislation will be signed into enactment by . . . a Black man.

Racist Mormon homophobes must be besides themselves in grief.

Especially after LDS President of the Quorum of the Elves Boyd K. Packer, in the October 2010 Mormon General Conference, declared that gays are not, under the laws of the Mormon God, entitled to equal rights:

"There are those today who not only tolerate but advocate voting to change laws that would legalize immorality, as if a vote would somehow alter the designs of God’s laws and nature," . . . A law against nature would be impossible to enforce. Do you think a vote to repeal the law of gravity would do any good? . . .

"[Some argue that] they were pre-set and cannot overcome what they feel are inborn tendencies toward the impure and unnatural. Not so! Why would our Heavenly Father do that to anyone? Remember he is our father." . . .

"Regardless of the opposition, we are determined to stay on course."

("Apostle: Same-Sex Attraction Can Change," by Peggy Fletcher Stack, "The Salt Lake Tribune," 7 October 2010, at: http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/50404210-78/church-lds-sex-packer.html.csp)
_____

Pffffffffff.

Apparently, the U.S. Congress wasn't listening to Boyd K. Who?:

"In a historic vote for gay rights, the Senate agreed on Saturday to do away with the military's 17-year ban on openly gay troops and sent President Barack Obama legislation to overturn the Clinton-era policy known as 'don't ask, don't tell.' . . .
"Repeal would mean that, for the first time in American history, gays would be openly accepted by the armed forces and could acknowledge their sexual orientation without fear of being kicked out.

"More than 13,500 service members have been dismissed under the 1993 law.

"'It is time to close this chapter in our history,' [President Barack] Obama said in a statement. 'It is time to recognize that sacrifice, valor and integrity are no more defined by sexual orientation than they are by race or gender, religion or creed.'

"The Senate voted 65-31 to pass the bill, with eight Republicans siding with 55 Democrats and two independents in favor of repeal. The House had passed an identical version of the bill, 250-175, earlier this week.

"Supporters hailed the Senate vote as a major step forward for gay rights. Many activists hope that integrating openly gay troops within the military will lead to greater acceptance in the civilian world, as it did for blacks after President Harry Truman's 1948 executive order on equal treatment regardless of race in the military.

"'The military remains the great equalizer,' said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. 'Just like we did after President Truman desegregated the military, we'll someday look back and wonder what took Washington so long to fix it.' . . .

"In a statement issued immediately after the vote, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said . . . [that] "[s]uccessful implementation will depend upon strong leadership, a clear message and proactive education throughout the force . . . .'

"Adm. Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said he welcomes the change.

"'No longer will able men and women who want to serve and sacrifice for their country have to sacrifice their integrity to do so,' he said. 'We will be a better military as a result.'

"Sen. Carl Levin, a chief proponent of repeal, said he has received a commitment from the administration that it won't drag its heels.

"'We hope it will be sooner, rather than later,' he said.

"The fate of 'don't ask, don't tell' had been far from certain earlier this year when Obama called for its repeal in his State of the Union address. . . .

"In February, Mullen provided the momentum Obama needed by telling a packed Senate hearing room that he felt the law was unjust. As chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Mullen became the first senior active-duty officer in the military to suggest that gays could serve openly without affecting military effectiveness.

"'No matter how I look at the issue,' Mullen said, 'I cannot escape being troubled by the fact that we have in place a policy which forces young men and women to lie about who they are in order to defend their fellow citizens.'

"With Mullen's backing, Gates ordered a year-long study on the impact, including a survey of troops and their families.

"The study, released Nov. 30, found that two-thirds of service members didn't think changing the law would have much of an effect. . . .

"Mullen and Gates [said] that the fear of disruption [in combat effectivness] is overblown and could be addressed through training. They note the Pentagon's finding that 92 percent of troops who believe they have served with a gay person saw no effect on their units' morale or effectiveness. . . .

" . . . Republicans who voted for repeal said the Pentagon study on gays and assurances from senior military leaders played a crucial role.

"'The repeal of "don't ask, don't tell" will be implemented in a common sense way,' said Ohio Republican Sen. George Voinovich. "Our military leaders have assured Congress that our troops will engage in training and address relevant issues before instituting this policy change.'

"Advocacy groups were jubilant following the Senate's initial test vote that passed 63-33 and set up final passage. The Servicemembers Legal Defense Network called the issue the 'defining civil rights initiative of this decade.' Supporters of repeal filled the visitor seats overlooking the Senate floor, ready to protest had the bill failed.

"'This has been a long-fought battle, but this failed and discriminatory law will now be history,' said Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign.

"At least 25 countries allow gays to serve openly in the armed forces, among them Britain, Canada and Israel, according to the Palm Center, a research institute at the University of California, Santa Barbara."

("Obama to Sign Law Ending Military Gay Ban," by Anne Flaherty, "Associated Press, 18 December 2010, at: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101218/ap_on_go_co/us_gays_in_mi)

To make matters worse for the bigoted Mormon Church, this pro-gay legislation passed by the Senate and House will be signed into law by none other than a Black U.S. President.

Say it ain't so, Prophet Joe!

The U.S. Congress obviously didn't give a fig-leaf apron about what any Mormon Church's head "prophet" declared in the name of God about Black people running the U.S. government.

Below is what then-Mormon president Brigham Young said about how God would never, in fact, allow Blacks to ever be in government. Really:

"In the kingdom of God on the earth the Affricans cannot hold one partical of power in Government. The the subjects, the rightfull servants of the resedue of the children of Adam, and the resedue of the children through the benign influence of the Spirit of the Lord have the privilege of seeing to the posterity of Cain; inasmuch as it is the Lords will they should receive the spirit of God by Baptisam; and that is the end of their privilege; and there is not power on earth to give them any more power. . . .

"[A]s to The men bearing rule; not one of the children of old Cain, have one partical of right to bear Rule in Government affairs from first to last, they have no buisness there. this privilege was taken from them by there own transgressions, and I cannot help it; and should you or I bear rule we ought to do it with dignity and honour before God. . . .

"Therefore I will not consent for one moment to have an african dictate me or any Bren. with regard to Church or State Government. I may vary in my veiwes from others, and they may think I am foolish in the things I have spoken, and think that they know more than I do, but I know I know more than they do. If the Affricans cannot bear rule in the Church of God, what buisness have they to bear rule in the State and Government affairs of this Territory or any others? . . .

"If we suffer the Devil to rule over us we shall not accomplish any good. I want the Lord to rule, and be our Governor and and dictater, and we are the boys to execute. I shall not consent for a moment to give way to a Gentile Spirit of contention, which is the cause of angry -------- Difference to the alinations of every Good feeling.

"It is for you and I to take a course, to bind our feelings together in an everlasting bond of union inasmuch as we love the Lord, which we ought to do more than selves. Consequently I will not consent for a moment to have the Children of Cain rule me nor my Bren. No, it is not right. . . .

"But say some, is there any thing of this kind in the Constitution, the U.S. has given us? If you will allow me the privilege telling right out, it is none of their damned buisness what we do or say here. What we do it is for them to sanction, and then for us to say what we like about it.

"It is written right out in the constitution, 'that every free white male inhabitant above the age of twenty one years' &c.

"My mind is the same to day as when we where poreing over that constitution; any light upon the subject is the same, my judgement is the same, only a little more so.

"Prahapes I have said enough upon this subject. I have given you the true principles and doctrine. No man can vote for me or my Bren. in this Territory who has not the privilege of acting in Church affairs. Every man, and woman, and Child in this Territory are Citizens; to say the contrary is all nonsense to me. The indians are Citizens, the Africans are Citizens, and the jews than come from Asia, that are almost entirely of the blood of Cain . . .

"It is our duty to take care of them, and administer to them in all the acts of humanity, and kindness, they shall have the right of Citizenship, but shall not have the right to dictate in Church and State.

"The abolishonists of the east, have cirest them them, and. their whol argument are callculated to darken Counsel, as it was here yesterday. As for our bills passing here, we may lay the foundation for what? for men to come here from Africa or else where; by hundreds of thousands. When these men come here from the Islands, are they going to hold offices in Government No.

"It is for men who understand the knowlege of Government affairs to hold such offices, and on the other make provisions for them to plow, and to reap, and enjoy all that human beings can enjoy, and we protect them in it. Do we know how to amilerate the condition of these people? we do. Supose that five thousands of them come from the pacific Islands, and ten or fifteen thousands from Japan, or from China, not one soul of them would know how to vote for a Government officer, they therefore ought not in the first thing have anything to do in Government afairs.

"What the Gentiles are doing we are consenting to do. What we are trying to do to day is to make the Negro equal with us in all our privilege. My voice shall be against all the day long. I shall not consent for one moment I will will call them a counsel. I say I will not consent for one moment for you to lay a plan to bring a curse upon this people. I shall not be while I am here."

("Brigham Young's Speech on Slavery, Blacks, and the Priesthood," Brigham Young Addresses, Ms d 1234, Box 48, folder 3, dated 5 February 1852,located in the LDS Church Historical Department, Salt Lake City, Utah, at: http://www.utlm.org/onlineresources/sermons_talks_interviews/brigham1852feb5_priesthoodandblacks.htm)

And Mormons say they are being led by God to lead this country?

Heaven forbid.

Edited 17 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2010 10:44PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: WestBerkeleyFlats ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 07:44PM

Harry Reid, for example, helped passed the DADT repeat. He's also struck me as a reasonable sort. I used to give his son a ride to church at U.Va., and he would fairly well bristle at the annoying priesthood types who would ask when he was going on a mission.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 07:46PM

The frightning thing is that these people are able to vote.

http://foxnewscomments.com/

Posted by: top ( )
Date: December 18, 2010 10:31PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.