Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 21, 2010 11:23PM

In another thread, a poster says, "Don't even talk about the shunning..." and a memory came flooding back that horrified me even though I was a devout member at the time.

Our ward was distributing Christmas presents to the old folks in the nursing home. I spoke with one sweet lady with hair still dark, no gray, but she seemed a little anxious. I asked her if something was bothering her and she said,

"Yes, I can't remember my children's names. I have eight, you see, and I can only remember the oldest two, Robert and James." I asked her if she had any grandchildren. She said she didn't know. I asked if her children lived far away. She said they lived in Orem (where she was!) I asked her if she had any pictures --because sometimes looking at their pictures would remind her. She said,
"Oh, no pictures... They took those away. They haven't spoken to me since I left the church. I am not a Mormon anymore. Are you Mormon? Do you know if I have any grandchildren?"

They told me, a total stranger, that this woman was always cold and could use a shawl. She was thrilled like a little girl to get the shawl. Where is the heart in these people? This is their MOTHER!

An awful chill went through me. What would it be like to raise all those children and then be thrown away like trash? There is no question this church hurts people ON PURPOSE. And the more people hear about it from one person after another, finally they will realize that this is the RESULT OF THE CULT, not some random meanie who didn't have the Spirit.

Anagrammy

"Oh, no," she said, "They're right here in Orem. They don't talk to me because I don't believe in Joseph Smith. Could you help me remember their names? I only remember

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: piscespirate ( )
Date: December 21, 2010 11:39PM

Breaks my heart to hear this. family forever huh? No thanks.

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 12:05AM

I used to visit an elderly woman. I was her Home Teacher, and we were the only ones who ever visited her. Her family lived nearby but never had time to visit. She actually never rememebred who we were so every time we visited, she would tell us the same half-dozen memories. The time she was baptized a Mormon, the time she was baptized a Baptist, the time her husband beat her until she fell down, her daughters red hair...sometimes she would remember that there used to be these other two guys who visit sometimes (yeah, that was us).

The nursing home where my Mother in Law was living was full of people who never saw family. Often, folks would just drop their Alzheimer parents off at the ER stripped of identification and they would live out their lives with nobody for a family but the nursing staff. Often they would just stare out the window waithing for the car to arrive, but their kids never come.

Posted by: mormon411 ( )
Date: December 22, 2010 01:26AM

Absolutely heartbreaking! I have worked with the elderly in the past and no matter how nice of a place they live in, they all need to know they are loved. The nicest retirement community in the world will still not make up for lonliness. Shame on her kids and the cult!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.