Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: December 28, 2010 05:37PM

Nothing I hate more than love bombing via the mail from the morg. Today's mail had a letter addressed to my son. We haven't gone to church in 10 years and had our records removed a decade ago, but every time a new presidency is created, along come the new love bombs. This time is no different.

This years letter invites my son to come to Primary cause the presidency "loves and misses" him. These women are all strangers. We've never met them and don't know them. Our son has never met them. I just love how a complete stranger addresses and mails a letter to my child! So inappropriate. This is obviously a gilded attempt to guilt us into bringing him to church. Not happening.

What had me irritated though is the "gift" that they included. It was a Manger drawn on a piece of paper and another paper with stickers for all the characters for the story of the Birth of Jesus. Unfortunately the stickers for Joseph, Mary and Jesus and the donkey were missing their heads.

Nothing says we care about you more than a letter and a broken toy....

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 28, 2010 05:45PM

This woman can't supervise her own naughty child well enough to protect her sticker primary supply? And she wants you to trust her with *your* child?

I wish I could phone a few people in that ward for you. They're undermining child safety training for your child and other children on their lists. Kids should be taught not to accept gifts and messages from adults their parents don't know or haven't approved.

So responsible adults need to learn to get parent permission before they give or send anything directly to a minor child. This includes mormons who tend to think they're exempt from normal societal rules.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: December 28, 2010 06:25PM

You need to tell these women straight out that contacting a child without the permission or knowledge of a parent is inappropriate and dangerous.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 28, 2010 07:16PM

that you should call the police and tell them you have people stalking your son. But then, that's up to you.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: December 28, 2010 07:18PM

they have no business contacting your child. In fact, if you have told them you aren't an active Mormon any more, they have no business contacting your child. But being resigned gives you a bit more leeway to, for example, send the children of the Primary presidency a coloring and sticker page labeled "Count Joseph Smith's wives" or "Foods and animal in the Book of Mormon that didn't really exist in the Americas prior to Columbus." Send it with a note expressing your love and concern for their child who is being brainwashed into a cult and how all the real people in the world love and miss them. Invite them back to reality.

Their behavior is outrageous. You might want to point that out first, before you return an eye for an eye though.

Posted by: voltaire ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 09:05AM

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:00AM

That is so, so funny!!!!

I BLEW when some random guy I don't know sent my little son a birthday card with a long, rambling note after we'd left the church a year before. My child had already been re-baptized Catholic.

I called the Bishop at home and raised a huge stink for violating our "no contact" wishes. He told me to either resign or he would call a court-o-luv and excommunicate me for apostacy in 2 weeks. (At the time, FIL was dying and we didn't want to resign until he passed).

So . . . I resigned, along with 5 of my kids. The church won???

;o)

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 28, 2010 08:03PM

I would tell CPS that three strange women from a church that you do not belong to tried to contact your child without your knowledge, they professed their "LOVE" for him, and tried to lure him in with TOYS, for purposes that seem sexual in nature (otherwise, why would they go behind your back?). If it were three old men and your child was a girl I bet you'd go to the proper authorities.

No more love bombs.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 12:27AM

sonoma Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would tell CPS that three strange women from a
> church that you do not belong to tried to contact
> your child without your knowledge, they professed
> their "LOVE" for him, and tried to lure him in
> with TOYS, for purposes that seem sexual in nature
> (otherwise, why would they go behind your back?).
> If it were three old men and your child was a girl
> I bet you'd go to the proper authorities.
>
> No more love bombs.

I understand the frustration, but CPS cannot handle the problems they already have and kids slip through the cracks everyday. I doubt they would appreciate being asked to intervene over a letter sent to a kid by a Primary teacher when children are suffering form serious neglect and abuse. Come on. There are other ways of handling it without giving busy work to an already overburdened agency.

Date: December 29, 2010 02:58AM

I understand what you're saying. But if I were a parent, ANY adult, and ESPECIALLY a stranger who tried to contact my child behind my back would be reported. Let the Police or CPS determine if there is an issue. After all, I pay taxes for those services.

Date: December 29, 2010 09:12AM

Every parent needs to step up and watch out for kids in their daily life.

The police and CPS are backups. They're not there to do day to day monitoring. It never hurts to report to them, but doing so doesn't mean the parent should sit back and do nothing else.

Kids learn through example and from one on one parent interaction about how to speak out and interact in life. They need to know that they can say no and that they can go to their parents if they're uncertain about organizations or individualse who aggressively try to manipulate or befriend them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 09:19AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:12AM

send inappropriate gifts to all the children of the women who sent the letter.

Wall-E, for example. But if no one has done a Count the Wives of Joseph Smith coloring book yet, it maybe time to get cracking.

That's the only way they are ever to understand "violation".

Date: December 29, 2010 10:26AM

Date: December 29, 2010 01:29PM

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: December 28, 2010 10:29PM

What would they think if you were to send an envelope to their child with a letter about how much you "love and miss" them at the CHURCH OF SATAN. What if you included a satanic ritual scene drawn on a piece of paper along with stickers that they could use to finish out the scene.

Would they think it was OK for someone to send such religious items to children?

Posted by: Lost ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 12:16AM

Thanks Everyone. I was just letting off steam by posting.

I have no intention of having anything to do with these people.
I am out and done. I want no contact. Even so, sometimes you get crap you don't ask for, like occasional unannounced visits you don't respond to, random phone calls and letters along with love bombs. These are rare, but as long as you have family in the church, even if your family is out, attempts to bring you back are neverending. So we just ignore it. If it gets to be too much, then we will take legal action. Right now, its just annoying and headshaking. The letter and broken toy went into the trash and I said nothing to my child. Problem solved.

I was just posting about the nerve of it all.

You are not a member and haven't been for a decade. You don't know them and they don't know you. Yet they (an adult) mail a letter to your minor child claiming they "love and miss them."
Just totally a wrong thing to do.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 12:46AM

a response because they push so many buttons we hoped weren't pushable anymore.

And yet it is such a mundane thing to them that you can't really make an issue of it without feeling any worse.

It's kind of a lose/lose situation they put us in, albeit not a big deal at the same time.

It's just frustrating.

Posted by: dane ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 03:03AM

You might have to be careful how you word it but if it got published it might give a heads up to a few people. What you wrote here and some of the responses give you ideas of what you might say.

Date: December 29, 2010 05:33AM

Throwing away this junk works temorarily when children are young and don't open their own mail, but not as well when they're preteens and teens.

Sometimes mormons organize wardmember kids at school to "fellowship" inactives, investigators, or exmo students.

I know an exmo family (totally resiged) in my area whose teen daughter was invited to sit with mormon kids at lunch, come to their houses, and attend church events repeatedly. When this didn't work, they started having ice cream outings specifically as an excuse to socialize with her.

The YW leaders also brought many little gifts, love notes, and invitations to the house and left them on the porch if it appeared the parents were home.

The young daughter was not sophisticated enough to sort this out on her own. She wanted friends and attention. Her mom decided to start sponsoring ice cream outtings of her own and inviting other non-cult kids to them.

The son received letters, invitations, and clippings from the bishop and other church leaders and kids his age. He was very musically talented and every time he won awards or was mentioned in the paper, several mormons took the opportunity to invite him to church to share his talents. These were total strangers who claimed to "love" him.

I think it's a good idea to contact whoever sends this stuff and tell them to kindly stop doing it. Mormons tend to be wimps. They puff up and pout over being told to back off but they usually comply if a parent insists and lets them know that they're making themselves and their church look rather foolish and desperate.

If the gifting is anonymous, telling the bish and/or other leaders also works. Mentioning that the anon factor is creepy doesn't hurt.

Parents need to step up and protect their children from many bad influences in life, drugs, gangs, too much junk food, internet stalkers, and also, cultism. This is what love is.

Love is not sending out candy, toys, stickers, and notes professing "love" to kids who are complete strangers.

Talk to your kids and tell them to let you know if any aggressive group or gang is moving in on them. Teach them the difference between real friendship and lovebombing. Let kids know that you're there for them in times when they're feeling lonely and in need of friends and tell them that most people have times when they feel vulnerable this way. It's during these times that they need to stay strong and keep their wits about them. Friendship isn't about caving into flim-flam schemes that look too good to be true.

Many adults have fallen for this treatment from mishies and local churchmembers. It isn't fair or realistic to expect kids to deal with it alone and without a parent's help and counsel.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 09:23AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: nomomomo ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 10:36AM

When my kid was 8 I think, we had resigned when he was six, I was contacted by the PP. She knew who I was, and knew him, we have boys the same age.

So she acted like it was like "Hi Suzanne, I was wondering if I and the PP.. could come see Bob". I was like um, no, I don't think that would be a good idea. She asked why not, and I said my DH would not like that.

She then said, well, we could come when he is not there. Then I said, no, I wouldn't like it either. She was like, ah, ok.

He did get some stuff on the porch a few times, just ignored it. Thing is, we had ALL resigned, even him, and I did the whole official everything certified, threat of legal action if contacted.

Even so, the bp and sp still showed up a couple times looking for us, though we happened to miss them.

Now I can tell everytime someone who doesn't know us has to pass out stuff or is the RS pres, we get stuff. I just laugh.

But we sure didn't get any Christmas treats this year!! I love living in Utah county. At least you know who your real friends are.

Date: December 29, 2010 10:43AM

I don't think this is uncommon. I've experienced it, seen other resigned exmos who are contacted and read about it here several times a week.

The fact is that resignations does limit or eliminate unwanted contact but it isn't always 100%. It gives the exmo ammo to use if they want to blast the stalking morgbots, but I think inactives have as much right to demand no contact as do nevermos and former members. A person's home is his/her castle and no one is allowed to hang around there without permission. That's called trespassing.

Posted by: Laban's Head ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 01:39PM

is why your records are even in the ward at all if you have resigned. I understand that they don't disappear and are in SLC someplace, but do the wards still keep records of resigned members?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2010 01:39PM by Laban's Head.

Date: December 29, 2010 06:14PM

Finally convinced them (with police help) to take it off ward lists and was contacted for more years by the stake. After that I was put on a mishie list.

Attention everyone:

Resignation does often eliminate unwanted contact, but not always.

What does work is ***hosing***.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 07:23PM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Finally convinced them (with police help) to take
> it off ward lists and was contacted for more years
> by the stake. After that I was put on a mishie
> list.
>
> Attention everyone:
>
> Resignation does often eliminate unwanted contact,
> but not always.
>
> What does work is ***hosing***.

Especially in the cold of winter, don't you think?

Date: December 29, 2010 09:32PM

Posted by: Friend of a Mo ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 02:13PM

I know you said that you just trashed it, but if it keeps up you can report it to your local Post Master at your local post office.

My minor daughter was getting colored pictures in a large envelope with no note or return address sent to her. It was really weird and creepy. He said because she was a minor her name could be flagged and they would not deliver envelopes with no return address to her. We never received another one. I'm not sure if there is a law about sending minor children stuff through the US mail, but might be worth reporting it to them.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 05:06PM

You can get a Prohibitory Order issued by the USPS against any person, company, or organization that mails anything to you or your minor children. Once that happens, it is illegal for that person, company, or organization to mail anything to you or your child.

Date: December 29, 2010 09:34PM

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: December 29, 2010 08:20PM

I'd start with calling the teacher. If that doesn't stop it call the bishop and SP. If they still bother you, get a restraining order. Going to the police or CPS as a first measure is a grossly exaggerated response IMO. It might be an option if they continue after being warned,

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.